Stableford

Hello forum, I am new to the S60 (European user) and have a help request regarding the stableford count. I entered my handicap (46) in the S60 and set the score method to "stableford". With (S60 option) "handicap scoring" I have the options for "off", "local handicap" and "índex / slope". When I set the local handicap to "22", the handicap (which was 46) is automatically adjusted to 22. What am I doing wrong? Thank you for your help!

Hallo forum, ik ben nieuw met de S60 en heb een hulpvraag betreffende de stableford telling. Ik heb mijn handicap ingevoerd (46) in de S60 en scoremethode op ‘stableford’ gezet. Bij ‘handicap scoring’ heb ik de opties voor ‘uit’, ‘lokale handicap’ en ‘índex/slope’. Wanneer ik de locale handicap op ‘22’ zet wordt automatisch ook de handicap (die op 46 stond) aangepast in 22. Wat doe ik verkeerd? Dank voor jullie hulp!

• Hi,

as far as I know, there is only one handicap that is saved. I put in as local handicap my normal playing handicap. In general my experience is to use strokeplay, because here you see the real done shots. If my handicap changes I have to do no changes and I know my extra shots.

The only truth is the paper scorecard. It happens sometimes that I forget to adjust the scores on the S60, so better trust on your brain and the paper! ;-)

The S60 helps me a lot to show the distance to the flag, all other things in the Golf app I do not use.

Regards

Gerd

• Hi.

When your handicap is 46, why do you set it to 22? Where do the 22 come from? "Index/Stroke" does not work in Europe. You have to use a local handicap. You find that on the handicap chart for each course you play, for each tee marker.

H.

• Thanks HorstW61 for your response! 46 is my personal handicap. 22 is the playing (local) handicap (extra strokes) on the specific course, starting from that tee color. From your response I understand that I do not have to enter the 46 in the S60 and "only" the local (playing) handicap (22). But, if the index / stroke does not work in Europe, then the S60 - can not - make a good stableford calculation, with the points in the screen indicating how many strokes I can make extra on that hole? Is that right? Thank you for the help!

• Hi Gerd_NL, Thanks for your response! The S60 is new to me and indeed helps immediately in determining distances, compass etc. Very nice. But, I also want to know how this works for the stableford count and I can't manage that. Again, thanks for your help and have fun on the green!

• Hi.

I do not beleive that with HCP 46 your playing handicap is 22! Which course is that??

My experience says that the watch does Stableford correctly, as long as the stroke indexes are set correctly to the holes. Assumed that 22 is your handicap on the course, you have 2 extra shots on the 4 hardest holes (index 1 - 4), and 1 extra shot on the other holes.

Please let us know which course we are talking about.

H.

• Hi HorstW61 again! Thanks. The course is Best Golf & Country club (Dutch). My personal handicap 46 gives, first 9 holes, starting from red a playing handicap 22 (extra strokes). Do I have to manually set the Index / slope on the S60? Every time on that course? Thanks Horst!

• Hi.

I think i see the problem. You play only 9 holes from the 18-hole-course. The S60 has only the 18 hole course in the maps. I'm not sure if the watch can do stableford in this case.

Try this: set your local handicap to 40 (22+18) when you play only the front 9. Then you will get 2 extra shots on each hole plus 1 extra shot at holes 2 and 4.

H.

• Hi,

because of this problem 9/18 holes I use only stroke play. I'm playing in Eindhoven/Tongelreep, my handicap is now 32,7. I often play 9 holes or 9 + 4. I know my extra strokes: all +2 (first 9) holes and the second 9 holes only +1 on hole 17. If I play the first 9 holes I have 36+18 = 54 shots for my playing handicap and then I reach 18 Stf points. Yesterday I played the 9 holes with 42 shots, 12 below my playing handicap -> 18+12 = 30 Stf points. In the S60 I fill in the strokes per hole and I know, if the strokes at the end are more than 54 (or 107 on our 18 holes), then it was a bad round ...

If you dive in a little bit in the Stf point calculation it's easy to caclulate it by yourself.

The total strokes per round tell me more about the playing quality than Stf. points.

If someone tells me, he/she played a round with 37 Stf. points, that is only that these person plays 1 point better than his personal playing handicap, but this handicap can be 10, 23 or 38.

Every official competition is played as stroke play or gereensome/foursome, not with Stf. points. If you play a qualifying round you have to use the paper card, that counts, not the watch ...

• Good morning Gerd and Horst,

Sorry for my late reaction, was playing golf yesterday afternoon Blush. Thank you for your help. I asked Garmin twice a week and a half ago. They indicate that they respond within 2 to 3 working days, but the reality is different: no response!

I now understand that playing 9 holes in Best, based on the stableford count, is not standard on the S60 with a correct count. Indeed, the manual calculation is not such a problem, but thought it was a functionality of the golf watch. Play regularly on different courses and you don't have to "sort things out" every time.

Moreover, the number of points (dots, extra strokes) on the S60 screen seemed useful to me when you were playing. Unfortunately.

@Horst: you seem to know the course in Best, because you correctly award the SI Blush . You write "Then you will get 2 extra shots on each hole plus 1 extra shot at holes 2 and 4" or just looked up'Blush?

Please ask two more questions:

1)So does Stableford count work on the S60 when I play on a "real" 9 hole (not 9 out of 18 holes) or does the S60 give me the choice of 1st or 2nd 9 holes?
    2)I have to manually enter the SI (Score Index) for that specific job on the S60? Once or every time?

Thank you again for your help. Greetings Corné

• Hi Corné.

I do not know the course in Best - i can read a scorecard Wink

(1) Stableford works on any course, as long as the playing handicap is set correctly. The handicap is always spread on 18 holes, no matter how many you play. And the handicap chart from Best is wrong! They have not mentioned the other 9 holes. When you read 22 it means 22 is spread on 18 holes (in the S60), not on the front 9 alone.

(2) No. The stroke index is automatically set in the watch. But you can check it for each hole and change it if needed.

H.