How is the handicap *actually* calculated on Garmin S42?

Please can you provide the actual calculation so I can see how it's worked out.  The app refers to my last 10 rounds - however the average over PAR for the last 10 rounds is 24, yet my handicap is 29.9.  I just had one of my best rounds ever and the handicap went up!  And this wasn't because a good round dropped out of the top 10 either.  Something isn't adding up.

• The scorecard causing the concern would not be the most recent, it would have to be one of the courses no longer contributing to the calculation, that likely caused the change. 

I would suggest references the FAQ's offered on Garmin support site in the links below for further reference if needed: 

Understanding How Golf Handicap is Displayed

Does My Garmin Support the World Handicap System?

Garmin Golf App Handicap Frequently Asked Questions

You would also need to ensure that your Garmin device is up to date on the most current version of golf maps by updating the maps on a regular basis using the Garmin Express program on a home computer. Garmin Support link below for reference if needed as well: 

Update Golf Courses and Device Software on an Approach 

• I've read the links thanks but it doesn't shed any light on this.

I have the S42 which is apparently WHS enabled, however my Garmin watch settings shows 'Handicap scoring' turned off.  It gives me the option of off, Local Index or Slope.

Despite it being 'off' on my watch, the Garmin app still presents me with a Handicap.  How is this calculated?  Is it based on the WHS and if so is it based on the best 8 of the last 20 rounds?  Does it take into account any rounds I play if I only play e.g. 13 holes.

I have checked the previous rounds and nothing has 'dropped off' that was better than my latest score.  It makes no sense that my handicap would have increased by 3 after my best score.

• The handicap scoring feature is separate from the Garmin Golf handicap system that automatically is calculated based on scorecards saved and synced over. 

Simply recording a round on the watch will result in the Garmin Golf handicap system providing the calculation based on WHS, relative to the last 10 scorecard description. 

Handicap scoring is basically a manual handicap entry options for users to input handicap round specifically. The features allows users to manually enter based on either index/slope, or local handicap rating, going hole for hole...or player specific. 

Handicap scoring is further explained on the Garmin Support page link here: Manually Entering Handicap on a Golf Compatible Product