Approach R10 Connectivity issue due to poor Cell phone signal (Android)

I've had my R10 for a little over a year.  Went through some trials and tribulations like most but had it dialed in pretty well last winter.  Makes me glad I worked in IT most of my career....

R10 to Android phone to Laptop Cast to TV in my attached shop and let me tell you it was NOT automatic to get all set up but it was worth it to play when it was 20 below zero outside (Minnesota resident).

Didn't really use it much this summer, but when I started using it again this fall  I noticed sporadic times where the shots were not being sent to my phone.  I might get most of a round in or maybe half, then it would "lock up" (not record shot to phone) and I'd have to restart the Garmin App on my phone, then it would maybe work again, then lock up again.  Lately it got to the point where it would maybe do one shot then lock up, but then just none at all.  Tried removing the device and re-pairing, removing the Garmin App and reinstalling, clearing the Play Store cache, and even a different (newer) phone. The shop is 3 walls and a refrigerator  in between our WiFi router, so I was concerned that the WiFi signal was weak. I added a network extender to the shop but it didn't help at all.

I contacted Garmin support (Gary) and he was fantastic about helping me verify the steps and doing testing.  He was prepared to send me another R10 if I requested it. 

Then I happened to noticed on my Motorola phone that the signal only showed 1 bar in my shop.  (metal building with metal 10 foot ceiling.  D'Oh)  I was focused on the WiFi signal, hadn't really thought about the Phone's signal.....

I brought the phone outside and walked around  until it showed 3 bars, set the phone there, then went into the shop (where my R10 is set up) hit a shot, and it read on my phone outside!!

If you experience a similar issue, please check that your phone signal is good in addition to all of the other steps.  Have a wonderful day!  I'm off to buy a cell signal booster!

• Strange as the communication between the unit and the phone is via bluetooth, and not wifi / cellular. I had it working on a tablet without cellular installed.

I write had as I don't use the Garmin App anymore. Using GSPro and never looked back Slight smile

Tonight I think I will tee off at Pebble Beach with Rory and Ludvig, and tomorrow it will of course be with Viktor and Patrick, being Norwegian.