Low spin on driving range

Hello,

just get my hands on the R10 and really liking it so far. I exclusively will use it on the range (my range is too small - max 130yards).

i felt that yardages were rather close to what I would suspect, shot shape not too much but this for me not important honestly since I do not use it too much as a simulator. One thing I noticed though that all my spins seems to be really, really low - e.g. a 7 iron with 4000rpm. That is really low. Not sure if the quality of range balls have an effect on that.

anybody else experience very low spin numbers outside on the range? As far as I understood the r10 measures spin outside rather than calculating like in indoor play.

note: I was just wondering if club path can be trusted with an error margin of +/- 4 degree - if it measure - 2 degrees that basically could mean everything from neutral, in-to out or out to in.

• I have the same issue with spin rates to the point where anything from a pitching wedge to 60⁰ wedge reads 1000rpm. Would like to know if this is a known issue?

• Old thread - but only one I found on this:

Had a longer 7I Session yesterday and tracked all my data - outside range, Garmin measured distance away from marked spot on matt + Garmin elevated to Matt level.

My 7I is between 89 and 91 club head speed. Most of my shots are below 4.5k Spin, Multiple measured Spin numbers are in the low 3k.

Will hit on a Trackmann today to compare those numbers - but they do seem low.

Anyone having any tipps on outside Range use?

• I recommend considering the balls being used, as ranges often use lower performance balls that may be either reduced flight, or designed with lower spin performance. Not to make any assumptions on the golf balls you have been using...as some outdoor ranges offer high quality range balls like the Pro V Practice, etc. The ball performance at the range is simply another factor to consider in your scenario. 

Outdoors at a driving range, it's obviously going to be a bit tougher using better balls, as range balls are being used repeatedly...but try comparing with a ball you would normally use on an actual round at the course into a net or through an indoor setup if you use the R10 at home. 

The Titleist Pro V RCT balls allow high reflectivity to capture spin even more so compared to a new high quality ball, but are often used for wedge shots that by design have more back spin on the ball due to the club type. 

Below are a couple links to the Garmin Support articles providing more info regarding the accuracy of the R10, and the RCT balls Titleist offers for the Pro V line, compatible with the R10 for radar capture: