Which Projector

I’m looking for some idea on what projector to buy. I’m looking down the route of a short throw 1920x1080 native projector. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations. I’m not looking to spend a whole lot of money so something on the more budget end Grinning.

• I just went through the same  process as a first time simulator builder.    I actually had a spreadsheet  with all of the comparison data.   I was debating resolution forever.  Price versus image quality.  Finally went with 1920x1080 because I did not want to be dissatisfied with the resolution.  I ended up getting the Infocus Genesis IN118ST.  I am very happy with it. The Optoma - GT1080HDR Short Throw is another great option.  It is has greater brightness, but was $200 more for me due to a great deal  ($100 now).  If your room is going to have a lot of ambient light the upgrade may be worth it.  The infocus is also  bright and works fine for me and some unmitigated  ambient from windows.

That being said the projector really depends on the room and screen size.  Also where you want to mount it.  I was doing a floor mount with a 4:3 configuration screen size that was 10' x 9' screen .   For me and my space a 6.5 foot throw in 4:3 configuration worked perfect.  It also gives me the option to ceiling mount later if desired.

The Benq TH1071 is another great option.  Its throw for my setup would have been 10',  which would have required a ceiling mount.  I eliminated and others due to not wanting to buy a projector that may not work for my space.  This was my first simulator build and projector, so I went the safe route.

Projector Central has a great comparison tool  and throw calculator. 

Good Luck

• Thank you very much for the reply. Your information is extremely helpful. Although I cannot seem to find the projector you have. Is it the   infocus genesis in118bbst you have? As that model is actually more expensive than the Optoma gt1080hdr. Do you have any picture of your setup with the projector on? Thanks

• I got the  Infocus Genesis IN118BBST (3400 lumens) for $584.  It is $689 now.  The Optoma GT1080HDR (3800 lumens) is $799.  There is a discontinued  one called the Optoma GT1080Darbee (3000 lumens) which may be what you found.  

If I could of got the  Optoma GT1080HDR for the same price as the Infocus Genesis IN118BBST I would of chosen that.  For $100 more it would of been a tough chose.  The Optoma GT1080Darbee would have to be cheaper.  

If you read all of the golf simulator forums the Optoma and the Benq TH1071 are very popular.  If you let me know your dimenisions I may be able to  provide you some advice.  My setup is working perfect.    I played 18 holes tonight.  I shot an 88.

• I will send you pictures tomorrow.  I had already retracted the simulator and parked the car in the garage.  Also pictures In the daytime with the ambient light are more helpful!

• Here is a pic of the image quality.  I think it is pretty amazing.  I am running the free E6 connect driving range.  This gives me landscape mode.

• What are you running E6 on? If an Ipad which model

• Iphone 12. My Wife' s Mini Ipad 2 was not on the compatible list. Also not sure she was thrilled with the idea.  Iphone 12 works well but it very small to hit the various buttons.

1. Hi

if I want to connect my max book pro to the projector, I can use airplay from iPhone to max book and then project? Is there a way that the R10 will talk to Mac book directly without going they the iPhone ?

Thanks 

• I have the GT1080HDR Short Throw on GSPro it's great. I run it on 1920x1200 high graphics and it's almost live. I'm one that's not interested in 4K graphics due to cost (PC and projector) and don't really see that much difference on my TV.