This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Approach g5 Rechargeable batteries

With rechargeable batteries I'm getting less than 1/2 hour before it shuts down....no problem with regular AA batteries. Anyone had any luck using rechargeable AA?
TIA
Nick

Top Replies

• Here is a link to the manual - Approach G3 and G5 Owners Manual

The important information on batteries is found under Installing Batteries on page 1 and the top of page 2. You will need to recharge…

All Replies

• Old thread but I have some suggestions. I had this problem and found that I didn't have the battery type correct in the settings. Alkaline batteries run at 1.5 volts each. Lithiums are also 1.5 but last about 8x longer. Rechargeables run at 1.25 volts and hold the voltage until the end. The battery type setting calculates the remaining life based on the battery type and shuts down the unit earlier or later.

An alkaline voltage drains on a fairly straight line down to nothing. A rechargeable runs a high voltage and then drops off fast. If you have the setting on rechargeable and put in alkaline when the alkaline reaches about 1.1 volts it thinks it has almost no time left and shuts down.

I run rechargeable low drain Ni-Mh (eneloops) and I'll get 2 18-hole rounds in on one charge. I keep another set of 2 as spares and rotate them.

I hope this helps.
  • Hi. This thread is helping me understand the Approach G5. I'm using rechargeable Eneloops as well. Can you advise if you can charge the Approach G5 in the unit using USB port / charger or do they have to be removed, charged externally and reinserted? Thanks in advance.

• Since the Approach G5 was discontinued, I've moved this thread to the G80 forum, as you're more likely to get an informed response there.

• Here is a link to the manual - Approach G3 and G5 Owners Manual

The important information on batteries is found under Installing Batteries on page 1 and the top of page 2. You will need to recharge your lithium batteries or NiMH rechargeable batteries outside of the unit. Do not charge them within it. It is also important to remove your batteries if not using it for several months. It will still maintain its internal memory as long as the internal built-in memory backup battery is still good.

• I have done the same with my own batteries. Bad chargers often ruin rechargeable batteries. Universal chargers that are superfast heat up the batteries and ruin them. A universal charger is still not necessarily a bad solution. I have an Ikea small charger. Charges for a longer time with small milliamps, but well. And can charge one at a time. Good luck to you and thumbs up. Threes