G80 Distances and speeds

Hi I'm looking for some assistance with my approach G80. The radar feature is extremely inconsistent.

I generally swing on average 90-100mph but the unit is reading my hardest swings as 50-60 mph with pitching wedge for example returning distances of 70 and 80 yards when the ball generally goes around 120-130 (carry) do I have a faulty unit?

Bought brand new last month from Affordable Golf.

I have updated the unit as instructed  and set it up the same way every time I use it. I have had it recording the correct distances before but for the past week it's not been giving me accurate measurements.

Thoughts? 

Top Replies

All Replies

• I managed  to get the unit reading my iron swing a little better . Normally around 85-90 for a mid iron and 70-80 for a short iron. I did this by allowing the ball to be slightly in front of the device.

While I'm happier with these numbers I'm carrying these shots as far as the total carry and roll figures as shown on the unit. Attached some images of the readouts. 

This is a 5 iron as good as I can hit it. Id expect to carry my 5 around 180-185.

This is a good 7 iron. Again the ball is carrying the total distance with roll here. 

Finally we have a fairly well hit gap wedge 50°. This flew 120 yet the device has this as its total. 

Has anyone else found the total distance reflects  their carry better than the actual carry figures? 

Disclaimer.  I have adjusted the total roll out to thr maximum here as an experiment. Also device  is set to record in yards not meters. 

• Interestingly if I convert  the carry figures as though it was meters the figures are more indicative of what I'd expect  of a normal swing for each without hitting out  my socks. Eg. Easy fill swing with 5 can be around 170-175 and if you convert 158 from meters to yards this equates to 172.

If the unit of measurement  is set to yards  does this cover both the radar and GPS or just the GPS?

• Double check your setting in your Approach G80 to ensure all your settings are set to Yards. Otherwise, you are going to run into an issue if your Golf courses played are using Yards too.

• I’ve bought the G80 as a birthday present for my daughter who has been doing great with her golf and recently been selected for the England development squad. The squad requires her to enter all data from a round and I thought this device would help but it doesn’t have the same functionality as the low cost Garmin watch she previously used. 

I also bought it for the mini launch monitor data but as other people report it seems the yardages are way out so it’s pretty useless. 

Overall this feels like an expansive mistake :( 

• I have not seen any history of issues with the end result of shots made when the Approach G80. As long as the unit is properly setup. Please make sure the roll factor is set.

Due to issue after our forums were worked on the last 2 days, please do the following steps to get to the correct Support Center article.

Please do the following:

- Copy and paste: www8.garmin.com/.../GUID-D6CBFCE6-AC60-4C39-9B4E-FFF899C333E1.html

- The article goes over setting the roll factor on the Approach G80.

• I am having the exact same issue. I bought this last week.

I am using 4 iron - getting readings of about 130 carry when it should be about 150. Worst of all is my 3 wood, I would expect carry of about 175 and I'm getting about 150.

Will be sending back I think.

• If you set the ball roll it will resolve what you are describing.

• Thanks for the reply. I have set the roll to half way on the meter.

Why would roll setting have any affect? I am only talking about the carry distance.

I am only interested in carry distance. 

• It should. By setting your G80 to an accurate final roll distance, it will be taken into consideration by the calculations made since the setting is part of the overall metrics being calculated.

• i got same issue too, i usually get 175m carry with my 7 iron, while g80 suggested 131m carry while club head speed 128 and ball speed 172
    i have tried a lot of shots, i could never get any more than 130m carry, even with my highest club head speed of 150