This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

G80 shot distance measurement and club advice

I’ve just upgrade from the Garmin G8 to G80.
When using measure distance feature on the G8 you can save the measurement against the club used, this data was then uploaded via Garmin Connect for future reference. Has this feature been removed from the G80?

Also the G8 also had a very useful club advice feature, has this feature also been removed from the G80?

• I am sorry but the G80 does not have the shot distance feature as you described in your prior Approach G8 did. The G80 specializes in your launch data using the radar features.

Here are Support Center articles on Shot Distance Measurement:

Measuring Distance with Touch Targeting

Measuring a Shot (Manual)

• Thanks Chris, Reading your response it appears these 'in play' GPS features have been removed in favour of the launch monitor application.

I have read other similar posts by Garmin forum members raising the same issue with the loss of 'in play' shot measurement recording and club advice on the G80.

Your response to these was that the requests would be submitted to the Garmin software developers to consider future inclusion of the features on future firmware upgrades, is this still the situation or has it been determined that the features will not be considered for the G80?

• My gut instinct on this is that we intentionally create an array of different products at different price points. I submitted the request to our Golf engineers for consideration but impossible to say if it would happen due to the level of software re-write that would need to be done.

• Chris, I too have been a long time Garmin user and I love the pre round warm up launch monitor features as well as the GPS and score card features but mercy this thing is lacking in the club performance department. I too would love to have a feature like my old G8 where you can save yardages per club and the device would recommend a club for that yardage.  I don't understand how a tiny watch can have features such as Auto Shot and club recommendations but the top of the line handheld doesn't support it nor does it support the CT10 feature.  It would be nice to have this while playing and only makes sense since you just left the range hitting shots and collecting data based on the launch monitor numbers. One feature away from being the very best Golf device on the market hands down.

• I will be glad to add your request as an impact to the feature request I submitted to our Golf engineers for consideration. I have sent you a Private Message to collect what is needed.

• Chris, I don't see any private messages for me. Can you elaborate?  I'd be glad to help with this.

• You should be seeing my message. Let me know if you have further issues. You can highlight my name and select Private Message.

• Chris, your argument about the level of software re-write required is quite weak, considering that the framework for such a club distance feature is already in the G8 (and apparently other Garmin golf products). The amount of software development required for other advanced features of the G80 has to have been much, much greater than the comparatively simple process of adapting the framework for club distance storage from the G8 to the G80.

• I quite agree with the sentiment of this thread. I have been an Approach G8 user for 2 years and have greatly liked and utilized the tracking of most shots by club. I had just assumed (thought I had read it somewhere) that the Approach G80 had all the features of the G8 plus the Launch Monitor. I tried to use it yesterday for the first time and was greatly disappointed. The instructions are vague at best and worse, deceiving.

Measuring a shot:

• Take a shot, and watch where your ball lands.
    • Select. > Measure Shot.
    • Walk or drive to your ball.
    • If necessary, select Reset to reset the distance at any time

I have come to depend on getting home and connecting my G8 to my computer and then being able to see all my shots for the round, including which club was used for each shot. I use this information and visual display of my round to improve my game.

Before trying to use the G80 yesterday, I had told my wife the she could have my G8 and that I would be using the G80. But now I have to go back on my word. I will have to send the G80 back as it is practically worthless!

• Same here, very disappointed, will have to sell it now !!!