Course and Firmware update options?

I have been searching for how to upgrade the G80 I just bought.  It has an old firmware version, and I want to get it to current.

But, it seems that the G80 doesn’t support WiFi (surprising, because my old G8 did).  I have attached it to my iPhone via Bluetooth, but neither Garmin Connect or Garmin Golf app is showing a way for me to upgrade.

I see that “Garmin Express” can upgrade it, but that is only supported on Windows and Mac OS X.     
  My MacBook Pro is out of support by apple, so it runs Mint Linux now.  My Chromebook is also not supported.  I don’t see a Garmin Express app for my iPad or iPhone.
  My work laptop is Windows 10 — but I wouldn’t install personal apps on it, even if it wasn’t locked down to prevent that.

Really?  With all the devices I have, am I really stuck?

Can someone from Garmin comment on this?  Am I missing something?  Will newer firmware or Garmin Connect apps change this?

The G8 WiFi updates were so simple.. Why is this not in the G80?

Top Replies

• I am sorry you did not receive a response 11 months back. We do our best to respond to as many forums threads as possible but we are not able to catch all of them. I personally started moderating…

All Replies

• Hmm..  no responses here 11 months later..  I ended up using a friend's Windows machine to get the device updated last year when I posted this.

Now, after running into other glitches I wanted to update to current and took another run at it.  I have a new MacBook Pro, with a Windows 10 VM where I run things that require Windows or that I don't want to install on Mac OS X.    So, I tried updating the G80 via my Windows VM and when I try I get into this reset loop on the G80.  It starts up, eventually displays the USB icon on the screen and is seen by Windows, then the icon disappears and it shows the battery level.  After a few seconds of that the screen blanks and it begins the cycle again.

Given my experiences with Garmin software, I am not going to install the Mac app (when I tried it a few years ago, I could never get it to work and ended up setting up a Windows VM which worked back then.   I also don't trust it enough from a security perspective to install it in the device OS)

Very frustrating and annoying, and I'm still stuck at the older version.  I've owned a lot of Garmin products over the years, and their sync apps have been the worst part of all the products.   I've had so many problems with each generation.  I would have never bought the G80 had I known it didn't support WiFi updates like the G8 and I would be back in the quagmire of Garmin apps and USB sync.

• I am sorry you did not receive a response 11 months back. We do our best to respond to as many forums threads as possible but we are not able to catch all of them. I personally started moderating November 2019 which is why you see me so active across all Golf products.

Regarding your current Approach G80 issue, I am sorry it is having issues. Given your description of the severity, please reach out to our Golf Product Support team and we will gladly work with resolving the issue.