This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Feature Request: Garmin Golf on Epix Gen 2

I would say I am a reasonably advanced user of technology. I have read the manual of the Epix Gen 2 and other related information on the golf functionality long before the watch came as a birthday gift.

I have used the Garmin golf app with a newly purchased Epix Gen 2 for 4 rounds now. I used to use the Galaxy Watch 4 prior to this. I was very excited to use the Epix - it generally works well, but I have a few frustrations. The data that the watch gathers is phenomenal. However, so little of the data actually gets presented back to the user. 

So, I don't know who will read this, but here goes (I read elsewhere that golf is not a big thing for Garmin, and responses to requests are non-existent)

1. Once you walk off the green, it prompts you to add the number of strokes, where your ball landed from the drive (on par 4's and 5's), number of putts and number of penalties. If you don't capture it there and then, you can only do so after the round on a computer. I would love for you to be able to go back to any hole played while on the course and fix this. This includes adding the club you hit at each shot).

2. I stood next to a friend, (also wearing a Garmin but a Fenix 7) on a par 3. The club showed the distance to the hole (which was in the middle of the green as 156m.) My friend's Fenix 7 showed 155m, but mine showed 165m. I was unsure as to how to reset the GPS (I used the highest setting with multiband) to try and get a better reading without potentially losing all the data I have gathered thus far on the round. Is there any way to reset the satellites without losing any data gathered on the round? Also - because this is the standard question from Garmin - Yes, my app, phone and the watch were set on meters not yards.

3. Because I am not using the CT10 things on my clubs, is there any way to mark the spot on the green where I am putting from?

4. I am not sure how accurate the watch is - I would like it to ask me if I landed in any bunkers, either fairway or greenside bunkers

5. In terms of data availability afterwards - I would like to see all the distances on that I have hit on the round. Sometimes there are mishits etc. that I would like to have excluded from the average figure. If it is not excluded, the club recommended in future rounds will not be correct and cannot be trusted.

6. On that topic - sometimes you find yourself in a spot between trees where you need to play a recovery shot, typically a 3 iron punch. This obviously does not carry as far as a normal 3 iron, but I nonetheless record the club played as a 3 iron. This is then recorded as part of the average distance I hit a 3 iron - which is obviously not true. It would be useful that, following a shot, the watch requests the shot type (e.g. normal or punch). 

7. Sometimes the green and following tee is in close proximity and the watch does not automatically go over to the request to put in score, fairway, putts and penalties. There needs to be a way to trigger this manually. If there is, please tell me, because I have not been able to find it. 

8. When playing a chip shot close to the green with little impact, the watch does not pick it up - which is fine, it cannot be too sensitive. I want to then be able to manually add the shot and club played at that point. Once again, if it exists,I have not been able to find it.

9. Some more things on data availability - obviously data is stored for all clubs on all courses - how difficult can it be to filter by club and then view the shots you have played? It can be a list, with date, course, hole number - you can then click on it and see the hole view. 

All in all, a good watch and app - but the day to day use and the data access afterwards can be so much more with limited effort.

I am in South Africa, and pretty much play weekly. 

I really look forward to responses from the forum members and, in particular, someone from Garmin that can provide meaningful insight as to current developments and whether the above could be considered.

• I just got my CT10's today so haven't played with them yet.  Played 1 round last week with Fenix 6X so can't comment on a few of these. 

I agree on number 1, would be helpful.

2 no idea

3 I wish I could guess at putt distance based on stroke location but this could also be beyond capabilities.

4. I also would like to know how accurate and whether anomalies are counted.

5.  One thing I did was create 2 extra clubs, mishit and punch out.  After the round I just reassign those "clubs" to any shots that weren't full swing shots so it doesn't affect my average distance.  I know Arcos doesn't count "anomaly" type shots.

6 Same as above.  I fear the CT10's are not really being developed any further.  Seems like these are just in maintenance mode and only fixing bugs but no new development.  I wish Garmin would confirm a new release coming.  Would make me feel better about spending $249.  If I don't hear then I may return to Amazon in a few weeks.

7 heard that gripe before.

8 agree

9 agree

For how long the CT10's have been around version 2.0 does not seem very new.  I wish they could calculate swing speed and face angle and some other metrics the launch monitors gather but I don't think they have accelorometers or the correct sensors for some of that but if Garmin told me CT20's were coming with those sensors I would definitely buy those.

Nonetheless I just made the switch to Garmin and after first round with the watch alone I was pretty happy.  Lot of gripes others have had seemed to be fixed like ability to edit shots after a round etc.

I'm hopeful for a new release.  Garmin???

• Thank you - nice to see that I am not the only person having feature request updates. I was also considering purchasing the CT10's, but the cost does not justify the limited additional capability.

In terms of the ability to edit shots after round - fortunately that does exist. You need to access Garmin Golf via your PC, though, there you can add, delete shots, amend the club that was hit to provide you with a more accurate perspective of your round.

I think your idea to create the extra clubs - mishits and punch out - is ingenious!! I will definitely do the same!

Garmin -if you are there, we would REALLY appreciate some feedback! We play weekly, and we are normally 2 or 3 fourballs. Of the 8 to 12 players, more than half are wearing a Garmin watch and using it actively for golf. 

• I use the garmin golf app to add or edit shots, as opposed to a computer, but if its chip shots around green they us a little magnifier arrow to add the shot that tends to jump around and often difficult.  Unfortunately you most often don't know shots were missed until later and have to guess what exactly happened.  Can't do during round until the watch has transferred the scorecard.  I find this happens less now that I have the sensors but have seen extra shots for some holes on the watch when I walk away to the next tee and need to adjust.  I have tje habit now of turning my clubs upside down between shots to limit mis reads, especially for putter or lob wedge around green.