This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Golf Sim - Can't compare two clubs of same type (e.g. two drivers)

Hi all,

I just sent an email to Garmin ([email protected]) regarding this bug. Thought this is interesting for the forum as well. Here is the original email text:

Hi Garmin dev team,

I though I drop you a line as I really enjoy your app. The new driving ranges are really great to play with. However I found one bug the other day as I used the "Golf Sim" feature with my newly bought R10 (awesome device). So here are some details on the bug:

My System:

Android 12
Garmin Golf App version 2.8 (2 Sept 2022)
Bug description:

When I want to compare two clubs of the same type, say two drivers, I can define both in the "My Bag" section of the Garmin Golf App. After doing so I can also select either of both in the "Driving Range" within the "Golf Sim" feature and I get all the descriptive data of the clubs when I select them. However, when I  afterwards analyze the session under "Golf Sim Sessions" I do see two driver symbols on the top of the screen (round purple circles with a D in them see screenshot), but I have no way of distinguishing the two drivers. Both are purple dots on the virtual driving range and the "CLUB LIST" stats get confused. Don't mind the actual distance numbers, these were lob wedge chips which I used to record the data to proof my point. Nevertheless only one driver shows up and I don´t know which. Also the stats are wrong. True there is one shot per driver, however the "Max Total", "Min Total" are wrong.

Anyhow it would be great to be able to compare two clubs of the same time. Not only for club comparison, say I test me "new" driver vs my "old driver", as I do now. Also this feature would be really great if you compare different balls with one club or make a competition between two people.

Additional feature requests:

These are some thoughts I wanted to send your way as I think the suggested small changes would really boost the usability of the otherwise great app.

Fix the bug described above as this currently limits the app substantially
Allow the user to choose the colors or symbols with which the clubs are displayed, for comparison.
Allow the user to choose the stats which are displayed in the "CLUB LIST" summary. You already allow customization in the "Driving Range" views where one can select which data to display. However, being able to look at Max/Avg values for important data fields like "Club Speed", "Ball Speed", "Carry/Total Deviation", "Smash Factor" and so on would be really valuable and enhance the user experience a lot. Maybe a "landscape view" option for more data display, where the standard "as is" view is kept, but when you put your phone in landscape mode, more stats are displayed.
I hope you find this info useful and look forward to hear from you in case you would like to "interact" on this report.

Best regards,

Alex

screenshot

I let you all know if I get an answer from Garmin on that. This is obviously a bug in the current app version, not an omission of a feature or so.

Best,

Alex

• Hi all,

just got an email from [email protected] asking me to rate my Garmin support interaction. Problem is, Garmin never got back to me on the issue I sent one week ago and is also posted here. Hmm so the rating was Disappointed

Let's see when I get a reply on the issue at hand.

Best,

Alex

• Thanks for reporting this, as I'm interested in comparing two different clubs of the same type at the range as well.

• Hi all,

I updated yesterday to version 2.9 and was excited about the "new club types" support update. However Garmin just added a few "Wood" types, no option yet to define two drives with two different colours.

Still the app gets confused on the "Driving range" when logging two drives. No improvement on any of the bugs I reported. Well but I can select a 25 Wood now (54-58 deg), which I use soo much more than my sand wedge.

I will keep on posting here with updates until the bugs are resolved. But this might take some time....

• Bummer it's not fixed yet, my workaround for now is I temporarily changed my club to a different type when I want to compare them, then change it back to a Driver later. Now that there are more variety of clubs, I guess that helps.

• There is a relevant update, since App version 2.10, we can export a range session to CSV, which contains all the data. In that data you also get the names of each club, so if you have defined two drivers with different names, you can sort the data after CSV export. That is a large step forward!

However the app itself still gets confused if you have two drivers defined and try to use them on the range.

• Hi all,

quick update on 2023-05-11. I run Android 13 now with the App version 2.12.4 (official from the Google play store).

The issue has not been addressed, no answer from Garmin and the problem remains. However the behavior changed a bit. The data from the second club of the same type (say the second driver) just gets ignored, in the stats as well as the shot count.

still waiting for an answer/responseUnamused