Integration between Explore & Connect... can't export from Explore to connect

Short story...  Using a third part application for route creation and curating for over a decade.  I would like to continue doing so. I need to access routes and waypoints in Garmin Explore for sync to the InReach Mini as well as in Connect to sync to Garmin Fenix 6x Pro Solar.  Must have the route AND waypoints.

So...  GaiaGPS -> Explore -> Connect

Export gpx file from GaiaGPS.  Route with accompanying waypoints preserved.  Works fine.

Import gpx to Explore to a new collection.  Route with accompanying waypoints preserved.  Works fine and the course file gets created.  This should sync easily to the InReach.

Here's where it goes sideways.  I need the full collection I am working with Explore to be duplicated to the Fenix and the only way I know of to do that is either through the mobile app, which I don't want to do, or by adding the route & waypoints to Connect to sync with the Fenix, however..   

I am viewing a collection in Explore.  Chose the Export function at the top right of the map.  File exports successfully but when I import that newly exported gpx to Connect, it is a different collection.  What gets exported is NOT the collection I am viewing in Explore but rather another collection of a different route and waypoints.  I've changed viewed collection.  Logged out of Explore and back in as well.  The same rogue collection gets exported from Explore and I can't figure out how to 'load' the correct collection.

In addition, it's been my experience that routes uploaded to Connect will typically strip waypoints.  I need a way to do this that will preserve the waypoints so I don't have to recreate them in Connect

• I don't think you can do what you desire. Explore is an outdoors platform and Connect is a fitness platform. Explore was intended to use routes, tracks and waypoints, and Connect was intended to use courses (you can add simple waypoints manually) .

In the last couple of years, Garmin has provided functionality from the two platforms across their device lines, but the platforms are not integrated. 

Connect doesn't have collections. You can try to export individual routes within an Explore collection and then import those routes into Connect. You can't import Waypoints into Connect. 

• Thank you for your insight 

Technically, I don't need to see the waypoints or the route for that matter in Connect.  Ultimately the tracks from the Activities (typically a multi-day backpacking trip) will sync back to Connect and that will be sufficient.

What I can't figure out is an easy way to import the route/course with waypoints into the Garmin Fenix.  The only way I have successfully done this is using Basecamps Send To function.  It works but Basecamp is a bear for trip planning when compared to other more modern route planning apps like GaiaGPS or CalTopo.

• I can't be very helpful. I don't have a watch, I have the GPSMAP 66i. 

I take it that the watch cannot be synched to Explore directly. If it can, it should be able to accept Explore routes and waypoints directly. I wouldn't use Connect for navigation functionality.

If the watch can only be synched to Connect, then I would import my planned route into Connect web for the watch and into Explore web for the 66i.  I would not expect standard waypoints (lat-long, name, special symbol, etc.) to transfer into Connect. Then synch the watch to Connect and synch the device to Explore.

• Thank you again.  I am using the Fenix 6X Plus watch and the InReach Mini.  Other than connect, the watch should connect with Basecamp which, if I had to I could make work, but so far I haven’t been able to mount this Fenix in Basecamp.  It just stalls loading maps.  Never had that issue with my prior 5X Plus.  

I have tried so many things thus far that I am loosing track, but I think I was able to export a saved folder (holding a route and waypoints) from GaiaGPS mobile and then import to Connect on the mobile and the waypoints did show up though unnamed.  Haven’t tried navigating with this yet.  It’s an obfuscated work-around but in the absence of anything else, I suppose it could work.  Even Basecamp would be better than doing this way.

• It sounds like exporting from GaiaGPS and then importing into Connect is the best you can expect. Connect isn't designed to handle standard waypoints, so at least they showed up.

It's not much different than what I do with the 66i. Download a file from a website and import into Explore, then synch to device. The difference is Explore can handle waypoints and Connect cannot.

• Hello, you could use your watch with the explore app directly and have everything you want on the watch direct from explore Getting Started with the Garmin Explore App and a Garmin Watch. However, if you are wanting to export data/collections and move it to the connect website/account I would recommend going the route of exporting from the explore website to your computer and then importing it to the connect webstie and then syncing the data over to the watch. Exporting Data From the Garmin Explore Website

• I hadn't considered using Explore.  In looking more closely I see that Explore lacks topographic maps.  Not sure if that is an issue because for my use Explore would be a pass-through.  Create the GPX using one of my preferred tools (Gaia or Caltopo) which all have topo maps and import the route and waypoints to Explore.  As long as I can then see them on the Fenix (which has third party topos installed, it should be fine.  Having the same route in Explore for use with the InReach is a bonus and one less step.

I have no need to import to Connect.  The one way sync of the completed activity track is sufficient and that seems to work fine.  

This might be what I needed!!   Thank you & Stay tune.

• Well..  this would have appeared to been exactly what I was looking for.  Allows me to bypass Basecamp and continue using the route planning apps of choice.  

I crated a new a route in GaiaGPS, imported it to Explore and have it added to one of the collections.  On the Explore mobile app, that collection is set to sync to the Fenix.  And here is where it dead ends.  Every time I try to sync the Explore mobile app to the Fenix the sync fails.  I've removed the Fenix from the mobile app, paired it again and the sync still fails.

Converted the route to a course using the convert dialog in the mobile app in hopes I would find it in the Courses on the Fenix but, the sync continues to fail.  

There is NOTHING about the Garmin ecosystem that seems like it will actually work as expected..

• I really thought this was the work-around that should sync courses/routes & waypoints to the Fenix.
    Since I am using an InReach as well, it makes sense to be able to sync Garmin Explore to both devices and push selected collections to the Fenix.
    The Fenix sync's with Connect with no issue. Stays connected to the iPhone 14.
    Garmin Explore desktop syncs to the iPhone with no issue. The InReach syncs to Explore with no issue, albeit via cable.
    Everything seems to work right EXCEPT what I actually need to work right... the sync of Garmin Explore to the connected Fenix. I can see the Fenix in Explore mobile app as a connected device. Sync of the watch to Explore fails every time.
    I have:
    1. Forget the Garmin Watch From the Bluetooth Menu of the Phone
    2. Remove the Garmin Watch From the Garmin Explore App
    3. Remove the Garmin Watch From the Garmin Connect App
    4. Restart the Garmin Watch and Phone
    5. Pair the Garmin Watch to the Phone Again
    In the Explore app the Fenix is shown as connected. I am choosing only one collection to sync to the watch. Sync starts and can be seen in progress. After about 40 seconds the sync fails.
    Turned of Bluetooth on the iPhone and did all the above to connect the Fenix to an iPad. Explore on the iPad shows all the correct collections and like on the phone, the sync starts, shows in progress and then fails.

Have I missed something that might get this to work? Is there no way to sync Explore with the Fenix using a USB cable?