This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can the Explore Web Map contours be in meters?

Can the Explore Web map be switched to be meters in lieu of feet?

thanks

• Not exactly easy to find, but - Account Tab, Units sub-tab. That said, I did not see any immediate change in map contours. Other distances, such as track length, do change units.

Note that this does apparently work correctly in the Explore app.

• No the Account tab doesn't let the contours be changed.

A bit frustrating, we have not used feet officially in Australia for 49 years, you would have thought that was long enough for the transition to meters to be complete. 

• The maps on the Garmin Explore Website use a single worldwide cache. We made a choice to display them in feet. Thank you for your feedback and we will take it under advisement for future improvements.

• Pretty nutty decision, but I am guessing Garmin has access to all the preferences that customers all over the world make which suggests USA being the largest block who have not been able to change to SI units is driving the decisions.

Please provide the choice of meters or feet.  Most of the world does use SI units. 

• +1 for meters. We are in 2019. Being forced to use stone age units just seems strange.

Even USA went officially to SI units 100 years ago, even though the Americans don't really seem to have comprehended that fact yet.

• According to Reddit “The Earth has a population of 7.046 billion. 94.7% of the world uses the metric system by population”

Likewise there are only three countries that DO NOT use metric. 

Please give us the option Slight smile

• Yes please change, this is a slippery slope to me having to train for 10,936.133 yard races!

• So how do we turn off your tick the question has been answered.  All you have provided is the explanation as to why the contours are in feet but not will it be changed or can it be an option to change it.

At present we have the contours in the watch (device) in meters, the contours in the App in meters and the Web in feet.  This is completely just wrong.  Airlines crash and space ships disappear because different measurement systems were used in their fuel calculations.  They all have to be the same.

• I have to say, this is an incredible short sighted decision on your part Garmin, and you knew that majority of the world uses metres. Is there no way of having the choice or even two different caches depending on your preferences? The Explore website is practically useless for me. I have to connect my device and use BaseCamp when planning routes.

• Very disappointing this hasn't been resolved yet