This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Imported GPX tracks are not visible.

I'm still trying to figure out how to use Garmin Explore/inReach. When I imported a number of tracks in one GPX file today, they were not visible on the inreach web site and nothing I could do as far as selecting layer visibility (eye icon) would make them visible. Whereas they are visible in the Explore app on my iPhone. Is there a way to manage the visibility of GPX tracks on the web site that I might be missing? Any suggestions?
  • I am seeing the same thing. If I import a GPX as a Track it does not show on the map, if I import the same GPX as a Route, then it does show on the map. Of course when importing as a Route the GPX is reduced to 200 points only. I think this is a bug with the explore website.
  • i don't really use either / both of the features, but for GPX as route - when you do the import, it DOES say that it will reduce the points to 200 only. So... shruggie..
  • Try clicking the "center selected user on map" button in the top Left corner. looks like a cross hair.

then zoom into that user location and press the plus icon next to the user on the map. have attached screen shots to show what i mean.
    Hope this helps.

• THanks for the suggestion, craigsam. Trying that doesn't change things as I am not necessarily looking for what I am doing now. But rather manage what I am planning on doing so I can load it to my watch. Tracks in the Library remain hidden on the web map.
  • just tryed to import gpx tracks downloaded from a mountaineering page to import as "Track" and as "Route" can see both without problems on the webpage and in the app. maybe try another gpx file, from another source.

2nd option: are you sure you don't have a collection which is set to non visible (the eye symbol with the crossed line) where you import it?
  • THanks for the suggestion, craigsam. Trying that doesn't change things as I am not necessarily looking for what I am doing now. But rather manage what I am planning on doing so I can load it to my watch. Tracks in the Library remain hidden on the web map.

Hi, I understand your not trying to mange what your doing now but this seems to affect all tracks visibility on the web map.Did you try it ? it resolved the same issue for me.

Craig
  • Hi, I understand your not trying to mange what your doing now but this seems to affect all tracks visibility on the web map.Did you try it ? it resolved the same issue for me.

Craig

I took a second look at what you said here and realised I had not understood it at all the first time. Following your specific instructions this time, the tracks were revealed on the web site. Thanks a lot for sticking with this and making a second post.

It is beyond me why this feature is implemented like this. Something so miniscule and non-intuitive. I get very frustrated with Garmin's web design. I used to think the hardware was dificult to learn, but because there were only a few buttons and they were labeled, it was tractable. But the Garmin web and hardware integration is mind numbingly dificult to figure out. Anything on a web page can be important but it needn't look important, be apparently related to the function or be labeled. Buttons on the apps don't have labels or the labels don't mean what they should seem to mean.

If only there was an alternative, I'd start migrating my hardware. And the stupid captcha on this site times out so quickly, that it makes posting more dificult than it need be, no wonder the forum is so dead. Garmin is is really not helping users much here.

Thanks again Craig for the detailed answer. I'm in the middle of planning a big trip and this really helps me organize my data.
  • I took a second look at what you said here and realised I had not understood it at all the first time. Following your specific instructions this time, the tracks were revealed on the web site. Thanks a lot for sticking with this and making a second post.

It is beyond me why this feature is implemented like this. Something so miniscule and non-intuitive. I get very frustrated with Garmin's web design. I used to think the hardware was dificult to learn, but because there were only a few buttons and they were labeled, it was tractable. But the Garmin web and hardware integration is mind numbingly dificult to figure out. Anything on a web page can be important but it needn't look important, be apparently related to the function or be labeled. Buttons on the apps don't have labels or the labels don't mean what they should seem to mean.

If only there was an alternative, I'd start migrating my hardware. And the stupid captcha on this site times out so quickly, that it makes posting more dificult than it need be, no wonder the forum is so dead. Garmin is is really not helping users much here.

Thanks again Craig for the detailed answer. I'm in the middle of planning a big trip and this really helps me organize my data.

Hi Pooneil, Glad i could help mate. I spent a lot of time trying to work out what the heck was going on LOL
  • Hi mates,

Happy to found this tread as I have the exact same problem. Indeed the 'fix' you discuss solves the issue when you have one track, but I hva multiple tracks not showing up on my map. Centralising myself and clicking on the + sign shows up one track, but not all, and I have no idea how to 'jump' with myself to the track in question (=I want to see). Any idea please?

Thanks,

Barna

• So, this gets more and more complicated as Garmin adds features to the web site.

The circled +/- next to the triangle showing your current location shows or hides your tracks. I have no idea why this is an important feature, but it's been this way for as long as I can remember. The default is to show them, so if you don't accidentally click on the circled minus, you're fine.

All data, including tracks, has to conform to the current setting of the map filters (top of the left sidebar). If the filters are hidden, click the small triangle to the left of the Map Filters heading so you can see them. The filter status(On or Off, to the right of the Map Filters heading) does not reflect message type selection. Safest thing to do is the click Clear Filters. This selects all message types and clears any date/time filters. 

In order to view the data, the user must be visible. In the left sidebar, in the header with your name, the eyeball icon controls this. If it has a slash through it, click it again to make your data visible.

Next, you have the whole library/collection thing. In order for a given track to be visible, Tracks in the Library must be visible. If the eyeball to the right of Tracks (under the library heading) has a slash, click it to remove the slash. In addition, if the track has been assigned to one or more collections, the containing collection must be visible. If the eyeball to the right of the collection name has a slash, click it to remove the slash.

I never place a given item (track or whatever) in more than one collection. As a result, I don't know if all collections containing the item must be visible, or if it's sufficient for any one of them to be visible. Logically, any one makes the most sense, but...

With regard to "jumping" to a particular track, you can select the track in the left sidebar - either under the library or under one of the containing collections. This causes the map to center and zoom to the full extent of the track. Confusingly, the center/zoom happens even if the track is not visible for some reason. But it does not make the track visible if it is hidden for one of the above reasons.