This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Explore App effect on iPhone battery life

I have the Garmin instinct solar. I also use my phone to navigate while in the backcountry. The other day I discovered the Garmin Explore app. I figured out that I can connect the app to my watch and it will display my path as I'm recording. This is super helpful sometimes as I'm often off trail, etc.

The question I have is relevant to managing my phone's battery life. My navigation app (Gaia GPS) can record my track too, but because it is using the phone's GPS it drains my phone battery very quickly so I avoid doing that. I had hoped that Garmin Explore worked in a way where it would be very gentle on the phone battery.

Here is my question: When Garmin Explore shows my current route so far, is it using Bluetooth to retrieve the path so far on my Garmin Instinct watch, rather than using the phone's GPS in real time? In this case the Garmin Explore app should only update my path when I open up the app and look at it on the phone, and this should be very battery efficient. Is that how it works?

I ask because Garmin Explore does seem to deplete the battery faster than I was hoping. If you can explain technically how the sync works that would be helpful.

• As a fairly new user, and since no one responded for over 9 months (REALLY!?) I'll take a stab.  Yes, it uses BT, not parallel navigation.  I can't say if it uses background sync or not, but perhaps so...if you really don't want that, you can control it in iOS Settings.  You can turn off "Sync Current Activity" as well if you want to control battery use, otherwise it is what it is.  Someone that knows better, please correct me.  I find that it doesn't use excessive battery on my iPhone 12 no matter what I do...way less than many other apps.

• Thanks Psyches for the answer.  Since I posted this 9 months ago you are the only person who has responded to me, and I even tried contacting Garmin directly. I appreciate it!