This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Disable sync. of activities?

I don't use activities in Explore for anything. I am only interested in waypoints. So I want to disable the automatic sync. of activities, which takes up a lot of time every time I open Explore.

(I know I can skip that step by pressing the red "Skip" text at the bottom, but when I do that, I sometimes experience that waypoint sync. isn't complete afterwards.)

• Have you tried disabling "Sync Current Activity" for the device? I don't think this is going to prevent sync of completed activities, but it might be worth a try.

• Move your activities out of My First Collection into a new Collection.

The Device screen go to the Device and select Collections Manger and in here turn off the collections you do not want to sync.

I tend to move everything our of My First Collection in a suitable Collection at the end of each day.  Some Collections only have waypoints some only have tracks and some are both but related geographically.

When setting up a trip I set up in a New Collection and only sync just prior to the trip and un sync stuff I don't need off the Device.  This keeps the list inside the Fenix5 in my instance manageable.

• Move your activities out of My First Collection into a new Collection.

This would prevent those activities from going to the watch.

But I want to prevent activities from syncing from the watch.

• Activities never sync TO any device. AFAIK, there is still no way to prevent syncing activities from the device which generates them to the servers.

• I’m trying to do the same: avoiding activities to sync back to Garmin Explore app, which to me is a place to plan routes and waypoints.

I guess we’ll have to contact Garmin for a software fix.

• I think you can mess around with what the default collection is on the watch and which one to sync here via the Collections link

https://explore.garmin.com/Devices

Also here might help.
    https://support.garmin.com/en-ZA/?faq=qiulCjRzjR8d2P9C9xZyPA&productID=561269&tab=topics

• I honestly don’t understand how that would be helpful: all recorded activities are synced to the primary collection, which is always synced back to the decide by default, which is exactly what I wish to avoid.

Am I missing something?

• Yes. Activities are NEVER synced back to any device. AFAIK, you cannot avoid syncing activities from device to server. I honestly do not know about the Explore app. But it would not surprise to find that activities sync from device to server and from server to Explore app (but not back to the device). Explore app is a mysterious thing. Heaven forbid that an activity generated on a paired device should just show up directly in the Explore app Slight smile

None of the business about collection management in this thread makes any sense at all in terms of solving the problem.  I suspect that the behavior of the Explore app is by design. Otherwise, activities generated on the paired device would never show up in the app. I understand why you don't want that. But others do.

Edited to add: Although painful, it IS possible to delete activities from the Explore app (one at a time, from the activity detail page). That said, I don't know what ramifications this has when you next sync? Does it disappear from the server? Does it reappear in the app? Something else?

• My experience is the Explore App to Device Sync is quite quick.

What is the reason you do not want to sync the Activity back to Explore?  It all seems a lot of work to avoid this.