This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Explore App to Fenix Sync Issue When Location Started on Fenix 5

I posted that the sync was confusing but the post disappeared, presumably by the moderators for some reason.

I have now narrowed down what the sync issue was that was making me think it was confusing with Explore App and Fenix 5.

When you establish the Location in Explore App it syncs all good with Fenix 5.

When you establish the location in the Fenix 5, it syncs to Explore App and Web OK, but does NOT sync back to the Fenix 5.

Yes I have allocated the Fenix 5 locations to a Collection.  And I have tried including it in My First Collection and the required Collection, still no worky.

• You would likely be notified if a moderator took action on a post. Sometimes automated filters will flag things as spam. Not sure you’d be notified in that case. 

As to the reported issue, I’m confused. If you marked the location on the watch, why would it need to sync back? It’s already on the watch. What am I missing here?

• Well it disappears from the Fenix, and does not get returned.

Usually it is edited in Explore App, which is the best this about the App, it's a dog of a job to edit a waypoint in the Fenix with a logical name.

So I have had to copy all the relevant Waypoint data detail into a spreadsheet, delete the Waypoints from the App, let everything sync.  Then raise new Waypoints in the App from the spreadsheet data and hey presto they are back in the Fenix after a sync.  But this is only a temporary work around and not how I would expect to have to do things.

• Please post your steps in the exact order you performed them, making particular note of when the waypoint disappears from the watch. I just tested this. Marked a waypoint on the watch, sync-d to app, changed waypoint name in app, sync-d back to watch. No problems. Waypoint is on the watch, with correct name. Also appears correctly on web site.

• So I have a bunch of way points that I have established on the Fenix prior to using Explore.  Upon syncing many of these are in Explore App and Web but do not get synced back to the Fenix.  Yes they are in a Collection.

And more recently I'm out in the field and establish a waypoint.  Later in the evening I sync and then edit the waypoint to give it a logical name and icon and allocate it to a collection.  The waypoint is visible in Explore App and Web but never gets put back onto the Fenix.

I can only add a waypoint to the Fenix with a proper name and icon by establishing it in Explore then syncing.

I'm not sure what more you by way of steps.

• The part I don't understand is exactly when the waypoint disappears from the watch. When I tested this, I marked a waypoint on the watch. I sync-d it to the Explore app and to the web. Still on the watch. I edited it (changing the name) in the Explore app. Still on the watch. Sync-d again between watch and app. Name change appears on the watch. Never disappeared from the watch.

I am also unclear as to why you had to "allocate" the newly marked waypoint to a collection. It should have automatically appeared in the active collection for the watch.

Just so I'm clear on the details: The watch does have an active collection (other than the default Library)? Does the waypoint appear in the active collection when you initially mark it on the watch (after the next sync with the app)? When you manually add the waypoint to a different collection, do you remove it from the original (active) collection? Is the collection to which you add it set up to sync to the watch?

I'm not saying there is not a problem. I just can't quite see how your procedure differs from what I did - which worked.

• The Waypoint disappears from the Fenix at sync, refer above.

To start with anything from the Fenix is auto allocated to My First Collection, the Garmin default upon sync.  After sync I allocate to a Collection such as Thredbo Ski in Explore App.

It does not matter if I leave the waypoint in My First Collection AND allocate it to another Collection, or MOVE it from My First Collection to another collection it still disappears from the Fenix.

I have set up about a dozen collections based on geographical areas.  Only the ones I'm dealing with locally are tagged to sync.  And yes the correct Collection is tagged to sync.  Otherwise there is an issue with looking for a Saved Location in the Navigation section of the Fenix.  The less Saved Locations on the Fenix the better in this regard.  This is a nice outcome of the Collections concept.

• Best open a call with tech support. I don't see anything obviously wrong with your workflow. If it consistently fails for you, tech support will be interested.

• I've now worked out the sync of locations back to the watch is a wider problem than just those locations established on the watch in the field.

I'm now getting lots of locations just not syncing from the App to the watch and yes they are in a turned on collection and still don't sync when I add them to My First Collection.  And I have checked the collection list in the My Device section for the warnings it can't or won't sync because of too many locations or whatever. As per other threads on this topic there is a deeper problem here.

The only thing I have not tried is to pull as many activities off the watch as possible to I suppose free up space.  Which is the next project.  But if this is the issue it is disappointing there is no sync failure warning for this.  The first you know about it is you can't find your saved location on the watch which is somewhat annoying when you are out in the white expanse of our snow fields and have several planned ways out based on saved locations.

• My experience with Garmin Tech Support has been very very poor.  With responses weeks and months after submission to no response at all and the only remedy they have suggested was to shut down and reload all the watch software.  And even that process would not function as detailed as the Garmin web pages I was asked to follow did not match the instructions.