This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Map Corrections

How do we advise of Map Corrections?

For example

1. the creek named Bogong Creek West of Thredbo Village is called Boggy Creek on the Explore App map but has the correct name of Bogong Creek on the Explore Web map.
  2. the hill called Baldwin Hill on the Explore App map is not correct, I cannot find any reference elsewhere for this name at this location.  The Explore Web map as it correct with the name Etheridge Ridge.

• I'm not sure what maps are available in the app for Australia. I know that in North America, the default is the old DeLorme Topo North America. These aren't likely to be updated since Garmin is slowly switching to other cartography sources that are more in keeping with the rest of the Garmin ecosystem.

You are probably seeing the OSM map on the web site, although it depends on your layer selection and the zoom level. (The web site forces particular layers at particular zoom levels.)

As far as I can tell, the available maps for that location in the app are limited to OSM and DAE. You might see which one you downloaded. Switch to OSM if that's not what you're using. Too big for me to download it just to test.

• I have downloaded both OSM and DAE, DAE is equiv quarter mill and once you drill down the map switches to OSM.

The dodgy place names appear at OSM level.

Explore Web is using a different map again stuck in feet for contours and WSG84, see separate whinge about that over in the Explore Web forum.

• Corrections to the OSM maps should be submitted direct to OSM.

Part of the issue may be the fact that Garmin does not fetch the OSM tiles on demand. They download the whole set periodically - so updates made to the OSM maps that you see online (at OSM) don't make it to the Garmin web site, let alone the devices, in a timely way. I don't even think the devices and the Garmin web site necessarily match.

You can try a call to tech support, but I doubt that you're going to get anywhere.

• I signed onto OSM Australia yesterday and had a good look at my area of concern.  The OSM Australia was all correct with none of the errors I note in the Garmin OSM on Explore App.

I take your point about the periodic map updates, so I guess I'll wait for the next map update and check than.

And absolutely the Explore App and Explore Web maps are different which is really weird and the subject of a separate whinge on my part.  I'm really baffled as to how such a fundamental data management matter can come to this for software designed to be synced.

My experience with Garmin Tech Support has been very ordinary over the years.  Sad really.