This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Creating routes in Explore from recorded activities

Hi,
I'm new to Explore, so these are probably really basic questions.

What's the easiest way to create a route in Explore based on a hike recorded on my Fenix 5+ ?
From what I understand, routes in Connect and routes in Explore are different things and not linked to each other? Or will routes created in Connect also show up in Explore?

I want only the GPS route/trace without any other activity data in my Explore library.
I managed to do this by exporting the gpx-file from an activity on the Connect website and import it back in on the Explore website. Then it synced flawlessly with my watch and I was able to start a Hike with navigation based on the newly created route(s).
However - is there a more efficient/direct way of doing this - either from the watch itself or in the GCM app?
Also - should I use traces instead of routes? What's the pros/cons of either?
  • Hello SAHO,

Jessica from the Explore app team here.

Connect features are optimized around fitness, and the Explore features are optimized around outdoor adventure. Currently the data structures are not compatible. When you convert/import/export GPS lines sometimes the points are thinned, so always check the item to see it is what you need afterward.

The easiest way is using the Explore app:
    - Select the activity in the Explore app library to look at the activity. Below the map and above the other info, you will see a little button that looks like two footprints. This will copy the activity as a track in your library. The fenix treats tracks or routes the same way. (There are more conversion options on Explore.garmin.com if you really want a route. In the library look for a button on the item that looks like arrows going right and left).

GPS line types: Everything I say here will have an exception depending on what what device the line was created on, and how many and what kind of data conversions it went through. Each import/export or conversion will alter the data and perhaps thin the point density. Not all Garmin devices are the same in their definition of each line type. The GPS data ecosystem is very complex, given devices need different data to navigate on foot, vs. in a car, etc. etc. My explanations are based on an outdoor user perspective. Routes, tracks and waypoints are the seminal GPS data items used in the outdoor and military areas.

- Routes are generally created by hand, and have the option of named points and icons. Routes do not have elevation data, but when viewed on a map you can see the elevation from the map. The advantage of routes is that you can alter it to be exactly what you want. They generally don't take a lot of storage on your device for the distance they cover. The edit function for routes in the Explore app is really nice. Routes are traditionally used for route planning and navigation. These are synced to and from your device by the Explore app.
    - Tracks generally have a more points than routes, and these are not named and have no icons. The density of points is based on device settings when they are made. If the data is converted, the density is set by the conversion. Tracks are traditionally used to record a path traveled, work or recreational. These are synced to and from your device by the Explore app. Tracks often have elevation data.
    - Activities are basically "super" tracks, with lots of biometric data added. Activities don't always record GPS or elevation data if it is not expected to be useful to the activity. "Treadmill" and "Yoga" are examples. When GPS points are recorded, it is often 1 per second (very high).The advantage of activities is the biometric data. This is most useful for fitness training. These are soley for recording an event, and cannot be synced back onto a device from the Explore app.
    - Courses are an attempt to simplify things on fitness and fitness/outdoor crossover devices by putting tracks and routes into one category on specific devices where these are handled the same. It really is two different types, but the difference is hidden to the user on the device. This is not done on devices where the difference is important to the user.

I hope this helps!
    J
  • Thanks for the clear explanation Jessica. This answers many questions that have popped up in this Explore area of the forum and individual device forums (mainly Fenix 5/5+ and Forerunner 935). I just wonder if this and other detailed explanations can somehow be copied accross to a single sticky thread (called Explore FAQs or something similar) on the main Explore forum.
  • Thanks Jessica, this is very helpful information!

Now that I´ve recorded activities after pairing with Explore, I see they are synced to the Explore app as well and the track-from-activity creation makes more sense.
    Which activitiy types are synced to Explore, all or GPS only? Is there a way to futher choose which/what kind of activities that are synced to Explore? I don´t need my outdoor exercises in Explore. Outdoor «recreational» activities like skiing and hiking is enough.