This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to create a route that follows along streets and trails on map?

I was looking forward to being able to create routes on my phone on the fly and sync them to my Garmin Instinct when outdoors on the trails.
Sadly so far I only manage to create routes that connect points I choose with straight lines. Unlike Garmin Connect web app I haven't found a way to have the route follow the streets and trails on the map so far.
Anyone know if this is possible with Garmin Explore on iOS?
  • It’s not currently possible, but I agree that it would be better if it could do this; although I sense that might add complexity to the app that Garmin may not wish to do (I’d rather have an app that does the point to point route creation offline well, rather than no app because it’s too much investment for Garmin or a bug ridden app because the feature was rushed in). Anyway, the best way forward is to share your wants and ideas here https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/ Garmin do listen and we’ve seen features added or changed when a lot of people on these forums have coordinated to use the ideas submission portal multiple times.
  • Thanks Crispin_Ellisdon, I agree.
    On a related note, I have open Street maps downloaded in explorer. But whenever I try to create a route it switches back to the default topo map which lacks the hiking trails that are in OSM. any idea how to create a route using OSM as before map?
  • I have open Street maps downloaded in explorer. But whenever I try to create a route it switches back to the default topo map which lacks the hiking trails that are in OSM. any idea how to create a route using OSM as before map?

I’m not having this issue (see screen grabs), but then I only have OSM and Digital Atlas of the Earth. Have you tried just turning off the “default topo” map you have?

As another aside, whilst Explore doesn’t do routing between points, I’m really loving the zoom cut out of the current point being added (very clever when your finger is in the way of where you are actually touching on the map). Also, just reflecting on other offline phone/tablet map and route creation solutions, I don’t recall the ViewRanger app being able to route between points either.ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1418039.png
  • That solved it thanks.i just deleted the topo map and only keep OSM. Yes, the zoom pop up window to position the points is genius. In fact, positioning the route points is so quick and easy that making routes on the go with explorer is real fun. A great combination together with the Instinct!
  • My F5 plus will receive it soon so I add a look.
    i completely approve with the original request to create route that stick to street and trails. I will stick to Komoot for now, and continue to investigate on opentopomap + Garmin basecamp + gps export
  • I also more comfortable app to create route more easily!!
    So I am using Garmin Connect Web app PC version on my Android.
    You may be able to change the page to PC mode from tablet mode.
    Please try it!