Real Garmin navigation app

hello everyone, 

when will Garmin decide to release a "real" navigation application on Android instead of Explore?  

there is more and more competition from applications dedicated to smartphones and it is time for Garmin to get involved so as not to arrive too late, 

I have several installed on an Xcover 6 and it must be recognized that they are still equivalent to what I have on my Montana 700...except for the simplicity!!! that's why I would like Garmin to do the equivalent of the simplicity of my Montana 700 on my Xcover 6...

even if at Garmin they tell me that it won't happen otherwise they would no longer sell devices portable, but more and more people are downloading hiking applications and no longer buying portable devices, Garmin should not miss out on this market and wake up too late.

• There are too many navigation apps on the market already. I assume Garmin does not see a chance for profit in that area. And looking at the overall quality of their other apps, I would not want to use a Garmin navigation app to be honest.

What advantage do you see of using an app over using your Montana? Sure, you would have one device less to carry, but navigating using the phone would probably drain the battery within half a day. 

• Hello everyone,

thank you for the comment,

already it would be to rediscover the simplicity of a Garmin device if they managed to copy what a Garmin contains, to be frank I use Osmand+ and it must be recognized that the developers have done an excellent job on this application that I I tried it a while ago and I didn't like it.

it's great, except that it takes a very, very long time to master it, which was my case, but what amount of information can be found there, but I still need 3 or 4 applications to find everything I have on my Montana 700,

for example, I am missing the compass which allows me to see at a glance if I am following the right direction,

I found an Xcover 6 (lighter) in which I only put what I could use for navigation, but which could also be used for connected smartphone use to find geocaches for example,

regarding the battery, with that of the M700, I have exactly the same autonomy as on my XC6 by leaving the screen on on both devices, that is to say a morning,

I'm currently running tests on the XC6 and with 4 main hiking applications being used at the same time, with the screen turned off (only turned on from time to time to view a few maps), the battery is down to 7% from 8 a.m. in the morning to 4 p.m. in the afternoon, I think that's not bad...

I also use Oruxmaps, which lets me use Garmin .img type maps (in unlocked versions),
    another big advantage of the XC6 is that the battery is removable, so you can buy a new one at a lower cost than for the M700, and there are very inexpensive adaptable chargers that let you recharge the batteries outside the device, with a powerbank for example.
    the only "really" negative point is the XC6's screen, which is very nice compared to the M700, but not in full sunlight, as with all recent smartphones anyway... on this point, my M700 is much more readable in bright sunlight.
    I was looking at smartphone applications from a distance, but there are some very good ones...except for simplicity.
    I also use an Inreach Mini 2 and Garmin even now forces you to synchronize your M700 with a smartphone for contacts, but Explore is totally rubbish when it comes to mapping, so since the smartphone is necessary, why not "also" have the equivalent of an M700 in the same device.

• Yes i agree 100on the point that navigation apps tend to be complicated to use for beginners. This is mainly because they are so rich in features that it takes some time to get to know all if them. I am a user of Locus Map. You can also customise the main screen to make it more like your Montana. A compass is for sure available in Locus. What else are you missing ? I could check if Locus has it .

• Hello everyone ,
    thank you for the information, I am looking at Locus, I had already tested it a while ago before Osmand,
    what types of offline maps can we save?
    can these cards be put on the memory card? I don't have a lot of memory capacity on the XCover, and I added a memory card, even though I know that the best thing is to put everything on the device, but I keep my S23 Ultra active and I prefer to use the XCover with the network connection cut to avoid overconsumption, especially since I can change batteries, not on the S23 Ultra...

I will also look for the compass which is available, that would bring me closer to my Montana 700 which has a compass and which allows you to visualize it once a course has started, which Osmand+ does not have,

I also see that Locus records the cardio belts, can we find the data in the recorded .gpx file?
    Osmand just indicates the data instantly but does not record the parameters of the cardio belt (too bad),
    Does the app also take other accessories? my Xcover does not manage Ant+ on the other hand...
    I'm going to try a monthly subscription to test this (new) application, one more...
    Thanks for the info, once again.

• I do not have a memory card, so i don't know about the maps in external memory. I am using the vector maps  from https://www.openandromaps.org/

They are really good and regularly updated. 

I am also not using a heart rate sensor in locus  but I read online that it records the data and can also export to gpx ot tcx format.

Edit: putting data on external SD card seems to be supported, however not recommended: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php%3Fid%3Dmanual:faq:use_sdcard_on_kitkat%23:~:text%3DLocus%2520Map%2520performance%2520on%2520SD,deleted%2520when%2520you%2520uninstall%2520Locus.&ved=2ahUKEwjR1d3G66-FAxWlh_0HHdw0DRoQFnoECA4QBQ&usg=AOvVaw2eY9fgCwnoomtpUJ1iMGac

• Thank you for the feedback
    I'm going to test with a subscription to judge what difference it offers me compared to Osmand +,
    I also knew the Openandromaps site for having downloaded Garmin .img maps, Locus supports .map maps, I just loaded one and I'm going to test, I also loaded one of my base region and compare ,
    I know it's not very good to read maps from a memory card, but there isn't much space on the Xcover and it gets saturated quickly, but it's the only one with a detachable battery and no choice of capacity, I quickly test this afternoon by taking a short walk to walk the dog...