Why does Garmin Explore Android require Google Play Services and regular online connection?

I am very disappointed by the half-hearted support of Garmin Explore for Android phones. My phone does not use Google Play Services, and I have no intention in changing that. It thus is impossible to use the Explore App in any newer version than 3.1, where this still was possible with limitations like no GPX import. Also, when not having used the app for some time, online login is mandatory. All this opposes the conveyed principle of the app, which is marketed as an offline app for the rugged hiker. Instead, it feels like window dressing, like so much does with Garmin. I totally realise that this has to do with dev-kits, APIs and priorities. Absolutely no reply or meaningful change expected.

• Hello, the Explore app is not tied to google play services. However, an internet connection whether wifi or cellular data is needed to download maps (for offline use), or for syncing data and connecting with your account. So, depending on what you are wanting to do in the app would depend on what connection you might need. 

Could you explain more of what your intention is with the app? 

• Hello, thanks for the reply. As far as I could see, the Explore App on Android only works up to version 3.1 without Google Play Services. Running a newer version was impossible, even when disabling the 'Play Services must be enabled' prompt, which is a workaround on many apps. And the older version of Explore, though otherwise working okay after the prompt is disabled, makes is impossible to import GPX tracks or export waypoints. Also, after not having used the app for a few weeks, I was forced to log in to Garmin servers again, although initial pairing with the watch had been done before. I can see this clearly, because I have my apps behind a firewall on Android, and only after allowing an online connection could I proceed. This can be tested by turning off Play Services, disabling the online connection after initial pairing and after download of maps, and then trying to use the app. Regarding your question, my intention is to use the app without Play Services and offline, once the watch has been paired and maps have been downloaded, with full functionality including GPX tracks import and waypoint export, without having to resort to a USB connection and Basecamp.

• Can you tell me what Android phone you are using and what android version it is running?