This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

get directions for mountain excursions (Alps nothest Italy)

Hi, I often go hiking in the Alps (northeast Italy) and I'm looking for a way to get route directions during the hike. 

Sometimes from the parking ("start") set on the Garmin Explore app my destination ("finish") e.g. Antermoia refuge in Val di Fassa.
But if I don't follow the path that the Garmin Explore app suggests, the route isn't recalculated and therefore both on my mobile phone and in my Fenix ​​7 I appear to be "Off route". Is it possible to set both the Fenix ​​7 and the Garmin Explore app to recalculate the route and then provide me with new directions to get to the destination?
thanks
  • Try to set your routing settings in your hiking activity to "use map". www8.garmin.com/.../GUID-4D9C1A64-B6FE-466C-87D7-5A31C3CFDED5.html

• Good morning, thanks for the advice.
    I already had the "use map" setting turned on.
    I currently have the "use map" and "popularity routing" functions set to ON.
    While the "direct route" function is OFF.

Maybe I need to deactivate the "popularity routing" function?
  • Is it re-routing you when you start the navigation from the watch instead of the Garmin Explore App?

• HI,
    I have always started navigation from the watch.
    Meaning what:
    1) when starting from a standstill, set the destination on the Garmin Explorer app;
    2) I click "GO" on the Garmin Explorer app
    3) the app sends me to the watch and on the watch I choose the type of activity (e.g. hiking")
    4) I wait for the fenix 7 watch to connect to the GPS and then I press start on the watch.

By doing this, however, it sets a certain route for me and if I don't follow it (e.g. because I want to try a shorter or longer or more difficult path) notifications continue to arrive that I am "off route" and it gives me directions to return to the previous one path I had abandoned

Do you think that if I turn OFF the "route popularity" function it will change anything?

• No I don't think so. Try adding the destination as waypoint in Explore. Then, after syncing, you should see it under the saved locations on your watch. Then from the watch, start a navigation to the saved location. This way, the watch should calculate the route, not Garmin Explore.