This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

"Explore Sync Service" notification

For the last 2 days my phone displays a notification, which says "Explore Sync Service" and nothing else. It cannot be dismissed, and when I tap it, the Garmin Explore app starts, and the notification disappears, but reappears as soon as I close the app. What does this notification mean and how do I get rid of it?

• This article is about Garmin Connect, but i assume it is the same for Garmin Explore: 

support.garmin.com/.../

• Thanks for the link.

I cannot find a "Device Connectivity" setting, which is mentioned in point 7, so I'm not sure if the guide from the Connect app applies to the Explore app. Anyway, I'll try to fiddle with the other Notification settings for the Explore app and see if it makes any difference.

Another thing that bugs me is that this guide is quite old. I've been using the Explore app for over a year, and this issue appeared just a couple of days ago, and I haven't changed any settings recently, and another thing that I noticed is that Connect stopped sending notifications to my watch at about the same time. I already tried restarting the phone, and even updated the Explore app today in the morning, but it did not help. All this makes me wonder if there's perhaps a deeper issue with the Explore/Connect/Android combination.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

• I initially thought that I had disabled some Explore notifications, but now I checked and i have enabled all, but i do not get this notifications that you mentioned. On which version of Explore are you? I am on Version 3.3.3 currently. 

On Android, if you tab and hold a notification, it should give you the option to disable it. 

• Since this morning I'm on 3.3.3 as well.

I ended up turning off all notifications for the Explore app, and now the "Explore Sync Service" notification is gone. I'm assuming that other notifications from the Explore app will be suppressed as well, but I don't care.

• This is still a feature in 3.4.2 even when Explorer is closed!

• I also had it after one of the recent updates. But on Android, it is quite easy to disable specific notifications. So it is not necessary to disable all explore notifications.

• I basically have to stop the application after I close it as it doesn't stop showing the notification.

• Google has changed the way they notify you about apps running in the background, starting with Android 8.0 (Oreo). When your phone is running Android 8 or higher, you’ll receive a notification that says “Explore Sync Service” if you are running the Garmin Explore app in the background. 

Garmin Explore runs in the background so that you can stay connected with key features such as smart notifications and weather on your Garmin device. It also enables your phone to automatically sync data from your device to your Garmin Explore account.

Garmin Explore App Automatically Syncing Device Notifications on Android

• Garmin Explore runs in the background so that you can stay connected with key features such as smart notifications and weather on your Garmin device.

So does Garmin Connect. And yet Garmin Connect does not display such notification. There are several apps on my phone running in the background, and Garmin Explore seems to be the only one that causes such problems.