This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Not syncing with watch (Explore Android)

Starting a new thread on this as previous ones are quite old now.

Android Explore has not been syncing my watch data to Activities for some time, occasionally it does and recently it has created two identical synced activities.

It may have something to do with Explore running in the background but I don't recall this issue last year.

I can see that some specific watches have had difficulties. I use an Instinct.

No problems syncing activities to Connect and to Strava.

• Hi ,

Do you ever sync your Instinct with Garmin Express on your computer? If not, you may have items in your sync queue that aren't syncing via Bluetooth and blocking your activities from syncing. Syncing with Express should get everything synced over at which point syncing via Bluetooth should work better. If that doesn't improve the syncing and issue with duplicate activities, we'll want to collect some information from you to investigate this -- I'm sending you a PM.

• Thanks for responding. I do occasionally sync via USB on computer (recently updated to v6.6. Instinct update). Still didn't sync activity. I have now deleted a few more old activities on the watch and tidied up my folders in Explore Web. A subsequent sync deleted a number of older, previously synced activities. I will now experiment - probably tomorrow for my one allowed outdoor exercise (COVID-19 rules) and see if things are back to normal. I will contact direct if appropriate.

Thanks again.

• I am having the identical problem, also with an Instinct (6.60) and Android Garmin Explore.  Activities are not syncing.  Waypoints are.  Android Connect is automatically syncing over BT, including Activities.  It's working perfectly.  I regularly sync with Garmin Express on a PC, so I shouldn't have any syncing queue.  Activities are syncing fine with Express.  A year ago I was experiencing hit and miss syncing Activities with Android Explore and gave up on it.  I've been trying to get it to sync Activities in the last few weeks and it is 100% miss.  Explore BT syncs successfully; it just doesn't sync Activities.

• Hi ,

I suggest trying the following:

• Make sure Garmin Connect App, Garmin Explore App and the watch software are all up to date
    • Make sure you're signed into Garmin Connect and Garmin Explore with the same sign in credentials
    • Try uninstalling both apps, removing the watch from the Bluetooth menu, restart the phone, restart the watch, reinstall the apps, then re-pair the watch and sync

If your activities still aren't syncing in Explore App after that, contacting Product Support to report the issue would be the next step. I have sent you a PM but feel free to contact us through the Support Center as well.

• I have the same problem on my fenix 5 plus. The Garmin Explore, android, is not syncing all the activities.

Inside Garmin Connect, android, on my phone, it shows 10 activities.

Inside Garmin Explore, android, on my phone, it shows 5 activities.

Inside the web Explore, it shows the 5 activities.

I have also done the Garmin repair bluetooth but this did not help.

I also tested this on a new android tablet, using the bluetooth syncing.

The tablet shows the same 5 activities after syncing the fenix.

The syncing has been getting worse with only the hiking partly syncing.

The syncing I think has been working fine, it has been syncing the hiking, walking and golf.

• Hi , I'm not sure what would be causing your activities to not sync with Garmin Explore App. I have sent you a PM to gather some more information to help out.

• I have the same issue with one activity, but with Garmin Explore on iPhone XR

• I've had some luck with Explore tracking my activities but only if I sync Explore with my Instinct immediately after starting the activity on my watch.  That works about 90% of the time though I did lose a 6 mile hike last week that, I thought, was synced prior to stepping off.

Although it did earlier this year, Explore now never syncs activities once they've been completed.  I'm currently working with Garmin Support to try to get this fixed but, so far, we've only attempted the basic "clear cache and reboot" sequence which, of course, was not a fix.

• I have also problem, newest and some older activities are not seen/synced to explore. Explore seems to work and sync but newest activities are not shown. They are visible in Garmin connect though. I already reinstalled Explore. I got a replacement watch for my Fenix 6X pro solar and activities made by it are not synced either. I removed and added watch to explore.

Is it possible that some activities are having too many points and that would jam the sync? I'm using 1/s setting with activities.

• After looking into several reports of  activities syncing in Garmin Connect App but not syncing in Garmin Explore App, this appears to be fixed with the latest version of Garmin Explore App 2.9.
    If you encounter this issue, please try the following:
    1. Remove device from Garmin Connect App
    2. Remove device from Garmin Explore App
    3. Remove/unpair/forget device from Bluetooth menu on phone
    4. Uninstall both Garmin Connect and Garmin Explore App
    5. Master reset the watch
      1. For most watch models this is done by holding the Back button while powering on the device, then selecting Yes to restore defaults. How to Reset My Garmin Instinct Watch 
      2. Before master reset, if your watch hasn't synced with Garmin Connect successfully, sync with Garmin Express on a computer to backup your data
      3. You can also use steps in the following article to backup and restore personal settings on your watch prior to resetting: Backup Personal Settings Instructions for Outdoor Watches
    6. Restart your phone
    7. Reinstall Garmin Connect and Garmin Explore App on the phone
    8. Pair watch to Garmin Connect App first
    9. Pair to Garmin Explore App
    10. Record a few test activities and sync
    This will most likely not get your old activities that didn't sync initially to sync with Explore App. To get those old activities into Explore App, you can export the GPX files from the Garmin Connect website, then import into the Garmin Explore website. Then, syncing your Account in Garmin Explore App will bring those GPX files into Explore App.
    This article has steps to export activities as GPX files: Can I Export My Data out of Garmin Connect?
    This article has steps to import GPX files into Garmin Explore Website: Importing Waypoints, Routes, Tracks and Garmin Connect Courses into the Garmin Explore Website
    If your activities are still not syncing after doing the above, please send me a PM so I can gather some information and logs from you to investigate this further.