This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Descent MK2/MK2s Apnea Surface Timer

I'd like to propose an enhancement to our existing surface interval timer feature for freediving, introducing an intelligent or "smart" Surface Interval (SI) calculation mechanism. The current timer only permits a constant surface interval setting, which doesn't accommodate the varying nature of dives.

I'm suggesting an update to dynamically adjust the surface interval timer based on the dive's depth and duration. This concept is guided by two fundamental rules:

1. Rule 1:The surface interval (SI) is computed as the product of Pressure (P) and Time (T). Pressure is rounded up to the next full number. Thus, SI = P x T. In this context, P represents the maximum pressure in bar (or atm), and T signifies the dive time, measured in minutes or seconds.
  2. Rule 2: For freedives deeper than 60m (197ft), only one dive is permitted in a 24-hour period.

*Rule 1 is referenced from Richard Wonka

Examples:
Example 1
A freedive to 15m (49ft) with a 36-second duration.
Using Rule 1, the minimum surface interval is 108 seconds, or 1 minute and 48 seconds
(SI = 3 x 36, 2.5 bar rounded up to 3).
Your surface interval is a minimum of 1 minute and 48 seconds.

Example 2
A freedive to 25m (82ft) with a 60-second duration.
Using Rule 1, the minimum surface interval is 240 seconds or 4 minutes (SI = 4 x 60, 3.5 bar
rounded up to 4).
Your surface interval is a minimum of 4 minutes.

Example 3
A freedive to 62m (203ft) with a 140-second duration.
Using Rule 2, freedives deeper than 60m (197ft): 1 freedive in a 24h period.
Do not freedive for 24 hours.

This feature adjustment would introduce a more sophisticated and safer approach to freediving, considering the individual specifics of each dive. I believe it would greatly contribute to the diving experience and safety of our users. I'm eager to hear your thoughts on this and am hopeful for its possible implementation.

Thank you for considering my proposal.