This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Withings Scale and Garmin Connect

I was looking for an ANT+ scale that would integrate with my Garmin Forerunner 225 but was disappointed with the offerings. Instead I went with a Withings Scale. Am presently surprised and happy that through MyFitnessPal the Withings measurements are automatically being uploaded to Garmin Connect - exactly what I was looking for. I'm not getting the body fat measurement but at least I can see my calorie intake, activity and weight on the Garmin Connect web site. Would be nice if Garmin/Withings would offer integration at the app level.

Nick
  • Mine used to work, got a new phone, logged back into everything and no longer works. 

• Are you still around and is this linking/sync app still working  nd available? I am a retired engineer so can probably tweak code if needed.

Cheers

Coppo

• Very frustrating that Garmin does not support the Withings Scale.  I have it syncing both through MFP and through the Apple Health App.  This is not acceptable. and speaks poorly of Garmin's integrity.

• I'm sorry, but I don't understand why this "is not acceptable". Why should Garmin be obliged to support the integration to other smart scales, when they have their own version of a smart scale that fits in their product suite and eco-system?

• Humm.  I guess I don't understand what you don't understand.  It seems that most companies who have gone down the proprietary "we won't work with anyone else" route have ended up regretting it.  It's especially disappointing after the the integration clearly worked at one point and appears to have been intentionally disabled.  Don't get me wrong, I love my Garmin watch.  It was expensive at ~$1000 but I feel worth it.  But I feel that there should be an obligation to do more than just take the info they wish.  They're not supporting MyFitnessPal, or Health (from Apple), or direct integration at this point.  It's disappointing and in my opinion not acceptable that they don't support standard API's.  I have had a number of Garmin watches and other devices over the years.  I believe they're the leader in the smart wearables, but they should stand on their own abilities and not work to actively block a users ability to monitor their health in an integrated fashion.

• It seems that most companies who have gone down the proprietary "we won't work with anyone else" route have ended up regretting it.

They work with those who are interested and willing to participate on the costs of the software (not only the development, but also patent fees, license fees, maintenance, documentation, translations to ~50 languages, international support,...) in the form of usage license fees. There is no reason Garmin ought to be the only company developing a usable software, and all other manufacturers just using theirs free of charge, instead of spending funds on their own solution (or participating on that of Garmin). 

You could also ask Xiaomi to develop their own software doing all what you need, and allowing to connect also Garmin devices (or fitness devices of any other manufacturer), and offering similar functionality as Garmin Connect. If you see that it would be absurd, you should understand it is absurd asking it from Garmin.

• BTW, you could ask the author of the Smart Scale Sync service to add Xiaomi as the data source.

• The problem is that the Garmin Index 2 scale reports WILDLY incorrect body fat percentages.  This is a well known problem that they've been aware of for a very long time but refuse to fix.  Many people find this metric critical for their training and if Garmin can't do scales right, we look for better options.  They have an good reason to allow clean integration with other scales.  For example, I'm sending my Fenix 6 Sapphire, Index 2 scale, and Garmin chest strap back and finding a more reliable eco-system.  They lost $1500 from me.  If I knew of a good scale that would integrate cleanly with the Fenix and Garmin Connect, I wouldn't have to send the whole kit back.  Their loss.