This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Share workout plans, Garmin Connect should save as "public/private/friends only"

Hi.

The tool to create workout plans in Garmin connect is really awesome. But i find it lacking any kind of share/import/export function.

My Feature Request is that Garmin Connect should have an way of saving an workout plan as "Private", "Public" or "Friends only".

"Private" = only for me
"Public" = it is saved in an public repository (and of course it shows up in my list as well) where people can search and import Workout plans
"Friends only" = It is saved in an repository that is accessible only by my friends or groups.

On top of this, there should be some kind of import/export function to be able to download/upload workout plans, both for backup purposes, but also for sharing stuff in an more manual way.
  • All good suggestions...I'd also like to see the ability to change workouts once they are on your calendar. For example I'd like to have a generic "Run" workout and then when I put it on the calendar be able to note how far the run is supposed to be without effecting or having modify the existing workout....Training Peaks works this way and I'd like to ditch using that for Connect only.

Does that make sense??
  • sharing workouts

Good suggestions, did we ever get a reply?
  • YES. Workouts need to be shared, or at least exportable/importable to others users so we can execute the same workout plan. Recreating the workout in separate accounts (for my girlfriend, for example) is tedious!
  • I just started my new marathon training and received an excel spreadsheet with my training schedule. My trainer has the workouts in Garmin Connect. However, GC still does not offer the functionality to export/import/share workouts. Now I have to create the workouts myself in GC and this is quiet a big task. Garmin, when can we expect support of export/import/share workouts?
  • If you have a device with a mountable hard drive:
    Send the workouts to your device.
    Look in the Newfiles folder and you should see the workouts there.
    Before you disconnect, copy/remove the workout files to your desktop.
    Send the files to whomever you want.
    Have them drop the files into the Newfiles folder with their device connected.

Workouts will then appear on their watch. Not ideal, but it works.

If you don't have a mountable drive then maybe working with the now obsolescent Garmin Training Centre might be an option.

The 'coaching' feature you are wanting is something that is available on other sites as a paid extra - SportTracks, Training Peaks for instance. I can't see Garmin taking that route.
  • phlipshambrook,

good workaround. It is a pitty that Garmin does not support this directly via GC by way of changing the status of a workout to Public (like is possible with Courses).

Regards,

Adri
  • phlipshambrook,

what do you mean by: a device with a mountable hard drive?

Adri
  • I just created a workout in GC. Took me about 10 min and I rode it on my Edge 1030. Worked great. My edge set my power zones and transferred that to the Wahoo Kickr. I want to share this workout with my training partner. I can't figure out how to export the file. Is that not possible?

• +1 on this feature request. Sharing workouts would greatly improve Connect as a tool to communicate between a coach and their students.
  • Garmin, it's (way over) time to implement this now :)