This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How do I create a segment in Garmin Connect?

Both the Garmin Connect "Segments" applet and the How-To section contain the same rather useless description. It begins with

• Choose an activity that includes the area you want to turn into a segment.

"Choose an activity" where exactly? What screen? What tool? What button (or whatever) do I press to "choose an activity"?

So far I was only able to find the map screen that appears when I hit the "Find segments" link in "Segments" applet on Garmin Connect. But switching to "Activities" mode on that screen only results in "Sorry. We did not find any results from your search. Try again." message.

Then it says

• Select "Create a Segment" below the activity map.

Where do I find that "activity map" that has "create a Segment" below it?

• Choose the segment start and finish points on the map or the elevation chart.
  • The same problem. Crazy tool.
  • You go in to the activity in your own activitylist. Then below the activity map you find Segments, click there and then it should appear a text "Create a Segment".

I hope you will find it.

But I have had some problems the last months with creating segments, it says that I don't have any gps-data.
  • You go in to the activity in your own activitylist. Then below the activity map you find Segments, click there and then it should appear a text "Create a Segment".

Yes, found it. Thank you.

For those looking for this feature:

1. Go to Garmin Connect Web interface - the page that contains your various applets/tiles.
    2. Open one of your rides. To do that either click the ride title in "Connections" tile or click the ride title in "Activities" tile.
    3. Once the ride data finishes loading, scroll all the way down (below the map and below the colorful ride data graphs).
    4. You will see three tabs there: "Stats", "Splits", "Segments". Click on "Segments"
    5. You will see a list of segments (if any) and a "+ Create Segment" link. Click on that link.
    6. Now you can use segment editor to designate a portion of that ride as a segment.
  • Segments seem great in concept, however once they are created, there still act weird on Connect. I have several, no many runs, that show up as a segment that I crossed, however I don't have a rank, or rather am not even listed on the leaderboard. For one of the segments, I should be #2.
    Anyone know how its possible to cross a segment without being ranked in that one?
  • This was super helpful as I had no idea how to create a segment. Will try it out and see results!
  • AndreyT0404's instructions are helpful however I have no "Segments" tab alongside "Stats" and "Splits." Huh???
  • Segments seem great in concept, however once they are created, there still act weird on Connect. I have several, no many runs, that show up as a segment that I crossed, however I don't have a rank, or rather am not even listed on the leaderboard. For one of the segments, I should be #2.
    Anyone know how its possible to cross a segment without being ranked in that one?

I don't have an answer to this, but I do experience exactly the same problem. I often get told that I have crossed segments but don't get a time. And I often ride roads where I know that there are segments, but there is no acknowledgement that I've done this. Anyone know why?
  • Susanstarbird
    Your ride/run must be public before you can use the segments feature.
  • Thank you AndreyT0404 for the explanation. The documentation on this was, well, lacking.

To PHERZOG's point about segments acting weirdly, I think that if the segment was created from an inaccurate GPS plotting then the start/end points may not be matched up well on someone else's device. I had a ripping ride on a common segment that I know was my fastest, yet it didn't show up. The plot on Google Earth came out a fair bit irregular, and i guess that is why.

Andrew
  • Segments

Susanstarbird
    Your ride/run must be public before you can use the segments feature.

It must also be categorized. For some reason, most of my activities are categorized as "Other" ... in which case, one cannot seem to create segments. Changing them to "Road Cycling" (for example), brings up the "Segment" tab.