This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Chromebooks and Garmin

After searching around and not seeing answers for my questions, I'm hoping to have this be available for all future Garmin customers who have wisely decided to use a chromebook.

Q: Does Garmin Connect work on Chromebook
A: No

Q: Why?
A: Doesn't matter. There is a manual workaround, use "import" to add the Garmin Data files from your new Garmin device to Garmin Connect.
  • But the gupdate.rgn is still there? The file disappearing after a reboot is normal, but with all of the Garmin devices I've ever used and updated by hand, it was pretty obvious that the update occurred, and after the fact the "About" selection showed the updated firmware. If it doesn't work, the Forerunner 15 is different from every Garmin device I've ever used (of course I've only used a limited number).

One final thing you might try is look for a file named something like "GarminDevice.xml" (I can't remember the exact name, and am not near any of my cables to plug something in right now). It's an XML file, so can be opened by any text editor. Look and see what firmware version it says, and whether that's the current version of the firmware.
  • The file gupdate.rgn seems to disappear after the reboot.

The other file is called ./GARMIN/GarminDevice.xml

I copied it, then opened it. Under Version is "240" the old original firmware.
  • Here is the relevant part (I think) of the XML file:

--- ---
    <UpdateFile><PartNumber>006-B1903-00</PartNumber><Version><Major>2</Major><Minor>40</Minor></Version><Path>GARMIN</Path><FileName>GUPDATE.RGN</FileName></UpdateFile>
  • can yall specify exactly how/what you used cause i cannot find the post ur referring too!!

• Hi There, 

Explore and connect are available in the app store on my chromebook

But I'm missing the Garmin Tread app.

Any thoughts on that?