This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Wind direction indicator

Just in case anyone on the Garmin QA team monitors this forum, I thought I'd point out a bug with the new activity detail screen that's not been mentioned elsewhere as far as I can see.

In the top right corner of the map, there's a graphic indicating the weather prevailing at the time of the activity. There is a wind speed indicator with a small arrow indicating the direction of the wind. When you click on the graphic, you get more detail. The wind direction is now also provided using N, S, E, W, NW, SE, WSW, NNE notation. Unfortunately, the bit of code that places the arrow on the graphic only seems to know about the cardinal directions N, S, E & W. These are shown correctly. Anything else seems to default to an arrow indicating a northerly wind.

A small bug perhaps, but one for the list. Hopefully it's already on Garmin's defect list :)
  • Thank you for reporting this. I have reproduced this and informed the Garmin Connect Team about this issue.

Shane
    Garmin Connect Subject Matter Expert
  • Thanks Shane - much appreciated.
  • Slight correction - SW winds seem to be indicated correctly. Perhaps SE, NW & NE are too. WSW definitely isn't though.
  • Another Weather Problem

Just in case anyone on the Garmin QA team monitors this forum, I thought I'd point out a bug with the new activity detail screen that's not been mentioned elsewhere as far as I can see.

In the top right corner of the map, there's a graphic indicating the weather prevailing at the time of the activity.

There is another problem with the prevailing weather: the temperature indicated is at best regional. I'm pretty sure that the temperature quoted for my rides and walks near home is from Oxnard, CA, which is a coastal city; I live in a valley community 40 miles inland from this, and the temperature is nearly always quite a bit warmer in the summer, and colder in the winter.

Can you find a weather reporting service with a finer reporting area? Perhaps look into Earth Networks - they use community weather stations at schools, government buildings, etc., in just about every town in the US.
  • There is another problem with the prevailing weather: the temperature indicated is at best regional. I'm pretty sure that the temperature quoted for my rides and walks near home is from Oxnard, CA, which is a coastal city; I live in a valley community 40 miles inland from this, and the temperature is nearly always quite a bit warmer in the summer, and colder in the winter.

Can you find a weather reporting service with a finer reporting area? Perhaps look into Earth Networks - they use community weather stations at schools, government buildings, etc., in just about every town in the US.

The Weather Underground (wunderground.com) - It's actually owned by the weather channel, and includes backyard stations. Or Weatherbug - also includes backyard stations.
  • The Weather Underground (wunderground.com) - It's actually owned by the weather channel, and includes backyard stations. Or Weatherbug - also includes backyard stations.

Yeah, Weatherbug is the tradename for Earth Networks' product. Either would be an improvement!
  • Yeah, Weatherbug is the tradename for Earth Networks' product. Either would be an improvement!

There is a backyard weather station about 25' from where I often start my runs that reports to both wunderground and weatherbug! Either is fine for me too! :)
  • Hi , Is there a way to display this wind in knots instead of kph?