This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

nordic walking

Hello.

Is there any possibility to have nordic walking as a seperate activity type?
Right now it is missed and I have to select "speed walking" for NW which it isn't.

Best regards
Tom
  • When I training to Nordic Walking 10 km, perhaps half-marathon, I want to report show NW different profile.

• At your watch you can copy any activity and then rename and customize it as you wish.
    The activity "Walking" should be perfect for this.

At Gamin Connect, Nordic Walking is called Speed Walking.
    It is just another term for it.

nordic walking

If you are concerned that this will result in incorrect calorie calculations being made:
    At GAMIRN, the value
    calorie consumption is made by using the very precise FITBIT algorithm using the heart rate (HRM).

• How you tracking speed walking training? :) Walking, speed walking, nordic walking is training options here. 

• I would also very much appreciate having a separate activity category for Nordic Walking.

• Nordic Walking is very different from speed walking in terms of the amount of energy consumed. There are many more muscles involved and it has been estimated that there is a +45% of calories burned at the same speed with respect to speed walking.

• Nordic Walking is very different from speed walking in terms of the amount of energy consumed.

It does not matter. Garmin devices (at least those with an HRM) do not need to know the name of the activity you do. They do not estimate the energy expenditure from some tabelar values, they actually measure it from the difference of the heart rate vs. average resting heart rate. In other words, the device will show the right burned energy regardless whether you walk a dog around the house, or do nording walking in Himalaya, and regardless whether you call it "walk" or "nordic walk".

• Still there is missing correct raports. Like everything else. Polar has over 100 sports type and Garmin sticks with this old fashion way. They get who are loudest. 

• Still there is missing correct raports

What exactly is missing?

• Sorting out walking and nordic walking, can't do that. Runalyze is the tool here. 

• Sorting out walking and nordic walking, can't do that

You can. Simply tag your nordic walks in the title, or set a specific Event Type to the nordic walks activities (i.e. Training, or Touring), or use one of the available otherwise unused Walking subcategories