This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Unable to import FIT file from Movescount

I'm trying to export an activity from Suunto's Movescount and import it into Garmin Connect.

I tried exporting as both TCX and FIT, but when I try to import them into Garmin Connect, all it says is "undefined".

I've attached the FIT version.

Has anyone done this successfully before? I'm not sure if the problem is the FIT file Movescount is generating or if Garmin Connect will only import FIT files generated by a Garmin device.
  • hi Dleewo,

I ran your file thru the Fit File Repair Tool and then exported it. I was able to get the exported file to to upload to Garmin Connect without any issues.

Give this file a try.

cheers
    Mike
  • Thanks. The file imported just fine, but the data seemed all messed up. Eg the run was 35:04 but when imported, Garmin Connect says it's 43:24. It's also says I was running at a 2 min/mile pace at one point :-)

Anyway, I guess the problem is the FIT file that Movescount is generating which has some kind of issue.
  • hi Dleewo,

Sorry about, not quite sure what happened there with the original file :confused:

I've run the file again and double checked it this time in GC with the duration and pace looking as it should - pic.

Delete the already uploaded activity from GC and then give this one a go - file.

cheers
    Mike
  • Thanks Mike,

The second file worked great.

Did you do anything different or was the file simply imported into FitFileRepair a second time and then exported, but it just worked the second time?

I'm quite happy to go out and buy this tool, but if it only works 1/2 the time, then I would get frustrated very fast. I'll email the developer of FitFileRepair and get his thoughts on what happened.

BTW, I did download the trial version and tried the utility before posting here and I couldn't get it to export the file., It crashed during the process.
  • hi Dleewo,

Glad to hear that it work! I think it was more a 'finger issue' on my behalf than an issue with FFRT - yours was one of three repairs and replies that I had going at the same time (you know what they say about men and trying to multi-task :D)

FFRT is THE tool when it comes to .fit file repair and Mathias is always releasing updated versions and is VERY responsive should you find an issue with the tool. As an example I had a problem with a file two days ago that when I went to export it I was getting a 'null' error message. I messaged Mathias with the problem file and the details he needs to reproduce the error and this morning I had a message from him saying that he fixed and released a new version of FFRT! Considering that I live in New Zealand and Mathias lives in Germany - two days to resolve the issue is pretty damn good in my book.

FFRT is well worth the money but it definitely pays to read the manual as there are some VERY advanced features in the program. And remember, there are a number of us in the forums (myself, DATEZZ, AWEATHERALL and Mathias) who all own full copies of FFRT and are more than happy to continue to fix .fit files for people. I originally purchased FFRT to convert 5 years worth of Polar files into .fit format (which it did VERY well I must add) and figured I may as well get full use of my purchase and so here I am on the forums doing what I can to assist people with corrupt .fit files :)

cheers
    Mike
  • Thanks for your help Mike.
  • I wanted to close the loop on this for anyone else trying to copy data from Suunto's Movescount to Garmin Connect.

I have ben trying both TCX and FIT files and my post here was about the FIT file. I decided to see if I can fix the file myself and since TCX files are just XML, I gave that a shot. I was able to get a TCX file from Movescount to import properly into Garmin Connect by doing the following TWO changes:

Remove empty lap
    The TCX files as exported from Movescount have an "empty lap" that looks like this:

[FONT=Courier New]
    <Lap StartTime="2014-10-09T10:17:48Z">
    <TotalTimeSeconds>0</TotalTimeSeconds>
    <DistanceMeters>0</DistanceMeters>
    <Calories>0</Calories>
    <Intensity>Active</Intensity>
    <TriggerMethod>Manual</TriggerMethod>
    <Track />
    </Lap>
    [/FONT]

I simply deleted that section

Remove The "Creator"
    The end of the file has the creator that apprently Garmin Connect doesn't like. I simply removed the following section:

[FONT=Courier New]
    <Creator xsi:type="Device_t">
    <Name>Suunto Ambit2 S</Name>
    <UnitId>0</UnitId>
    <ProductID>0</ProductID>
    </Creator>

[/FONT]

Once I made those changes and saved a new TCX, I was able to import it just fine into Garmin Connect
  • I ran your file thru the Fit File Repair Tool and then exported it.

Any chance of a MacOS version? I too can't import FIT files in GC from Movescount ant BKool trainer site. These files are correctly imported in Rubitrack.
  • Hey kiwimtnbkr

Could you possibly tell me whats wrong with this file.
    This was a full 35min session where i did a warmup, strength/skill exercise and then 100 burpees for time... It was recorded with a vivofit and a HRM3-ss