This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Find friends (gmail address book, linkedin, imported csv, facebook friends etc.)

Now I can search by name only.

I have like 1000 contacts in my address book, Facebook, LinkedIn and other social networks. Searching by one name at a time - doesn't sound like a proper solution.

Could you please add feature to search my social networks for contacts which are using Garmin Connect. That would be much more efficient way of getting connected.

Thanks!!!
  • In order for something like that to work, users would have to give their contact information (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, E-mail, Phone Number, ...) to Garmin Connect so that they could match users up. I don't think it is a bad idea, I just think that without participation of a majority of users, it wouldn't work very well.

Travis
  • No, it's not the way how it normally works.

Garmin already supports account linking to Social Networks (check the picture I attached).
    When I'm adding Social Network (for instance Facebook), Facebook asks me do I want to share my info (including my Friend list) to Garmin.

So Garmin already has access to my Friends in my Social Network.

The only feature is missing - Garmin should search for Garmin users in my Facebook and suggest me adding them to Garmin Connections.

This is how most of the Social Networking works and it is strange that Garmin still doesn't support that (making Social Network features useless).
  • Garmin already supports account linking to Social Networks (check the picture I attached).
    When I'm adding Social Network (for instance Facebook), Facebook asks me do I want to share my info (including my Friend list) to Garmin.

So Garmin already has access to my Friends in my Social Network.

Assume you are friends with Dave Smith on Facebook. Obviously, Facebook knows about this relationship. Since you've enabled the social connection to Facebook, Garmin may have access to this information (depending on what permissions you've granted). So now Garmin knows you have a friend on Facebook whose name is Dave Smith. But how does Garmin know that user DaveSmith1983 on Garmin Connect is that Dave Smith? They can't. Unless DaveSmith1983 enables the social connection for Facebook, thus giving Garmin access to his personal contact information (stored in Facebook).

Travis
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 9 years ago
    Anyone know if this has been added? Infuriating one has to search name by name
  • Assume you are friends with Dave Smith on Facebook. Obviously, Facebook knows about this relationship. Since you've enabled the social connection to Facebook, Garmin may have access to this information (depending on what permissions you've granted). So now Garmin knows you have a friend on Facebook whose name is Dave Smith. But how does Garmin know that user DaveSmith1983 on Garmin Connect is that Dave Smith? They can't. Unless DaveSmith1983 enables the social connection for Facebook, thus giving Garmin access to his personal contact information (stored in Facebook).

Travis
    Even if it gave you a list of possible Dave Smiths and could not tell you which one you were friends with this would greatly help as you could then msg your friend and ask for their exact user name, at least you would no which friends to follow up on and which not to bother asking
  • In my mind, this is one of the areas Garmin will lose. This is a feature that should have been added 2 years ago. Companies such as Athletepath are trying to crack this nut.
  • Endomondo does this very well.
  • Former Member
    Anyone know if this has been added? Infuriating one has to search name by name

Because of the common email address.

Endomondo dsoes this and makes it sooo much easier to connect to friends. Endomondo searc hes your facebook and gmail accounts (that you connected to garmin) and then it says these 12 people use garmin connect. You can then friend request them and they can choose if they want to accept your request. Works very well.

With Garmin, you have to just magically know your friends garmin ID. Pretty poory executed compared to other tracker websites. Doesnt garmin want community?
  • Former Member
    I would like to see this feature as well. Every app on the planet does it; it's not rocket science. I was shocked to see that Garmin Connect doesn't have this functionality.