This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FIT, TCX or GPX

I apologize if this has been asked already, but I could not find anything on the forum that addressed my question.

I am wondering the best format to use to share the data from my FR220 to sites like Strava?

FIT is available direct from watch and can be manually uploaded from the watch.
TCX and GPX are both available from GC and can be manually transferred to sites like Strava or automatically with tools like CopyMySports.

Do these formats contain the same data and are just formatted differently or are their gaps that make the formats less favorable for detailed analysis?

Thanks.
  • I just upload my .fit file to strava. It is compact binary file, and it is the native file format that current Garmin devices use to record the activity.
  • FIT is the preferrable format. TCX doesn't support all (meta)data and GPX is even worse in that aspect (it doesn't support laps for instance). However, it also depends on the tool/site you use; when it supports TCX better than FIT you should use TCX.
  • The sites I'm famialiar with all have their own 'upload' from device feature. I'm sure they upload the format most useful for them if your device is capable of supplying logs in multiple formats.

File type will matter more for what you send to your device. But that depends on many other questions concerning what you want to do and how.