Edit you Garmin Swim Data free online

HI,

I'm a Garmin Swim user and also a programmer. As many of you, I sometime have inaccuracies in my data. For me, it's mostly an extra lap now and then. It usually happens when swimming in a crowded lane, and I have to switch from freestyle to breaststroke to look for an opportunity to pass. As a result, distance, average speed, and maximum speed metrics will be affected. I used to wish I could just merge two lengths within Garmin Connect and get more accurate data. Since GC doesn't provide this feature (yet), I decided to make my own tool. It is working great for me, so I decided to add splitting length, changing stroke style and pool size, and added a web interface to it. It's free as long as hosting cost are reasonable. Feel free to try it and let me know what you think.

Garmin Communicator plugin is required and you'll have to be able to manually upload an activity file to Garmin Connect. I explain how to do it on the web site.

http://www.swimmingwatchtools.com
  • Thanks for all the nice comments. FR910 support is definitely the next feature that will be introduced. I have been noticing FR910 users trying to upload files in the last few days. Unfortunately, they get a message telling them the device is not supported, so It's my next priority.

Hosting fees are not an issue for now, it's still small scale. But thanks for the offer.

I have no plans for a standalone version. A web app allows me to make updates on the fly, and I can see how people are using it, so I can make adjustments along the way. But it could be an idea for later.

I also have a few ideas for a page that would provide better analysis than GC does. Analyzing the file to check when a user is swimming equal distances of the different styles (medley) is a good suggestion.
  • FR910 support is definitely the next feature that will be introduced. I have been noticing FR910 users trying to upload files in the last few days. Unfortunately, they get a message telling them the device is not supported, so It's my next priority.

Glad to hear the 910xt is next priority - that's what I have, and merging laps is what I need, and I have been frustrated that GC has not supported it to this point. If you need FIT files from it, let me know, I can send you examples. Thanks for putting the time into doing this; I run a similar web application which allows you to upload multiple Garmin activities on to one map, so glad to see someone else is of the same mindset as myself :)
  • I think most users are happy with Garmin Connect. But some expect more features, which opens the door to 3rd parties. I could have lived without my app. But it was fun doing it, and I learned a lot from it. Just curious to see what other people are doing. Can you provide the link to you application?
  • Can you provide the link to you application?

Surely:

http://www.irreverence.co.uk/activities/

Ironically, for the first time ever, I managed to swim tonight without the 910xt double counting any laps. This is entirely down to my technique improving from "terrible" to "poor", and I suspect I will have double counted laps at some point in the future. One day, maybe I'll no longer have this problem... but until then...
  • Hi,

Only just unwrapped my 910XT and tried to edit my test journey (on run mode) and was shocked to discover I couldn't edit data points like on Runkeeper. I've shelled our several hundred notes for this bit of kit and to say that i) a free app has more functionality and ii) third party developers are stepping in to fill the gap in basic features is, frankly, an embarrassment to Garmin.

Complaints can be filed here and unless we speak up this sort of half-hearted support software will not change:

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/escalateForm.faces

In the meantime, well done to ERUNNERMTL. If you manage to launch a full on web-based application which incorporates the best bits of Runkeeper, Strava and Garmin, I'd be happy to pay for it. Kickstarter perhaps???
  • Hi,

As I've said before, I think Garmin Connect is fine for most users. GPS Devices are not perfect, and it sometimes makes sense to be able to edit data. For some users (a minority), accurate data is an issue. But over time, the ability to edit individual data points is not that important. I've been using Garmin Connect for a couple of years and had a few activity files with errors. But what I'm most interested in, are trends. How many hours/kilometers from month to month? Do I run faster than last year? Do I see an improvement in heart rate over time? When you look at trends in dozens or hundreds of files, errors in individual data points/activities disappear because they are averaged with other data.

Lap swimming files are a little different. They are made of a few discrete units of data (laps), and a few extra/missing laps can make significant differences. The project began out of curiosity, and I decided to make it available to those who feel a need for more accurate lap swimming data. I have a few other ideas, like a new activity page with more details than GC provides. But I've no plan for large-scale web site. A full fledge web site like GC with thousands of users supporting dozens of devices in several different languages requires a lot of resources and many developers.

If you need more than GC provides, you'll find a lot of alternatives. None is perfect, but each has nice features. I've use many, but got tired of uploading my files to different sites and don't want to pay extra, so I'm now only using GC. Training peaks (web) is very good and provides good analysis/reporting and data editing. SportTracks (desktop application) is also very good. That's the two I found most useful.
  • The tool discussed in this thread now supports the 910xt, and I've just proved that it works by editing one of my swims from last month where my watch had split a couple of lengths. Thanks, ERUNNERMTL!
  • Brilliant this works a treat.

One small thing, I had a sort of ghost lap that was identical to my previous lap but had no stroke information, although it had time and distance. Is there a way to delete this file as when I merged them it doubled my time for this lap although the stroke length remained the same.

As I say only a minor thing and if you can't delete it no dramas at all.

Thanks again
  • As MKNS said, the website now support lap swimming files from FR910. I wanted to wait a few days before making an official announcement as I did some last minute testing.

CyclingMarky1, don't know exactly what you mean by 'Ghost Lenght', But there is one problem with FR910 files that the tool is not able to resolve. This problem happens when you press the lap button to end an interval and rest at the wall. If you move your arms too much while resting (for example treading water in the deep end), the watch will register a 'Ghost length' instead of rest. I don't know if this is what happened in your file. This problem is specific to FR910 users. The Garmin Swim have a pause button which allows users to properly record rests.

I don't know if 'ghost lengths' are a problem for many users. But what I could do is allowing to convert a length to a rest. The 'ghost length' would appear as a rest in Garmin Connect and total distance would be reduce by one lap. I will check if that can easily be done. I've sent you my email in a private message, so you can send me the file, I could use it to do some testing.
  • So freakin' awesome. Thanks for making this little tool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!