Edit you Garmin Swim Data free online

HI,

I'm a Garmin Swim user and also a programmer. As many of you, I sometime have inaccuracies in my data. For me, it's mostly an extra lap now and then. It usually happens when swimming in a crowded lane, and I have to switch from freestyle to breaststroke to look for an opportunity to pass. As a result, distance, average speed, and maximum speed metrics will be affected. I used to wish I could just merge two lengths within Garmin Connect and get more accurate data. Since GC doesn't provide this feature (yet), I decided to make my own tool. It is working great for me, so I decided to add splitting length, changing stroke style and pool size, and added a web interface to it. It's free as long as hosting cost are reasonable. Feel free to try it and let me know what you think.

Garmin Communicator plugin is required and you'll have to be able to manually upload an activity file to Garmin Connect. I explain how to do it on the web site.

http://www.swimmingwatchtools.com
  • Hi,

Thanks for you comment, I appreciate. Glad you think the tool is easy to use and that you were able to fix you data.

About, the things you noticed,

The time in the Garmin swim data is universal Time (UTC). Garmin is able to display time in the correct timezone and format, because they require you to provide them with your Timezone as part of your profile. The way I do it, is to rely on your browser. I provide your browser with UTC and ask it to convert to your local timezone whatever it is. Your browser has access to your timezone through operating system settings. Since there is a one hour timeshift, I suspect it is an issue related to Daylight Saving Time. But it is only a display issue, I do not make any change to the the time fields in your data, I read it, and write it back to the new file. So it should display fine in GC.

You are right that you might loose custom fields like Name of the activity, comments that you added in GC. Because you cannot have two versions of the same activity on your account, you have to delete the original one, and replace it with the new one. As a result, you loose any Custom information you added. I will add something in the user's Guide to warn users about it. Thanks for pointing it out.

You are right about the Communicator being resetted every time you upload a new activity. The way the plugin is intended to be use is that you may select one or any number of activities. But I didn't want to deal with users selecting multiple activities, so I only allow one at a time. It was a choice I made, because it is less complicated to deal with one activity at a time. I agree it is annoying if you have a lot of files to edit, but if you use the tool on a regular basis, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I do not have much control over what and how the plugin displays things (dates) to you. I only get the activity file you selected, everything else is dealt with by the plugin. I checked if Ihad missed something while configuring the plugin, but I can't see anything that could affect the way the plugin displays the activity list from your device.

Great tip about the the 'Misplaced Transition' problem. I was thinking about adding a feature to deal with it. But doing a merge followed by a split, will result in 2 lenghts with equal time. It works great, didn't think about it!!!

Again, thank you for taking the time to give me feedback.

Stephane
  • Great site. Are you planning to add support for other devices ?

Are you planning to add support for other devices ? Be great of you could (if you set up a donation page some of us out there would probably be happy to make some donations to the cause...).
  • Are you planning to add support for other devices ? Be great of you could (if you set up a donation page some of us out there would probably be happy to make some donations to the cause...).

Not sure what you mean by 'Other devices'. I do plan on adding support for FR910 lap swimming activity files. But the web site is about editing swimming data only. I do not expect to allow editing of running or cycling files. The problem I have is I do not own a FR910, and I need activity files for testing purposes. If someone can provide me with a bunch of lap swimming Activity files from the FR910, I would be happy to add FR910 support.
  • Not sure what you mean by 'Other devices'. I do plan on adding support for FR910 lap swimming activity files. But the web site is about editing swimming data only. I do not expect to allow editing of running or cycling files. The problem I have is I do not own a FR910, and I need activity files for testing purposes. If someone can provide me with a bunch of lap swimming Activity files from the FR910, I would be happy to add FR910 support.

Hello,

I own a FR910 and I also experience some problems of missing laps, too many laps, ... . It would be great if you could support FR910 devices as well. I would be happy to provide you with some .fit files from some of my lap swimming. Perhaps send me a PM with your e-mail, then I can mail you some.
  • Hello,

I own a FR910 and I also experience some problems of missing laps, too many laps, ... . It would be great if you could support FR910 devices as well. I would be happy to provide you with some .fit files from some of my lap swimming. Perhaps send me a PM with your e-mail, then I can mail you some.

Message sent.
  • Fr910xt

I too would love to use this with my 910XT. Could you let me know roughly when you think this might be compatible? Day, Weeks or Months? Also happy to submit any .fits if it helps.
    Kind regards.
  • I'm working on FR910 support. Should be ready within a month. Files are welcomed, as well as descriptions of most common problems. I've sent you my email in a private message.
  • Hi ERUNNERMTL, I have a 910 if you need any files.

One of my swim laps was broken into two separate laps, so looking to get it merged back together.

Once you have the 910 fix up and running, I will be more than happy to pay towards your server costs as I like my workouts to have the correct information.

Have Garmin contacted you yet about a job :)
  • WOW, very nice. I'm proud for you.
    Have some questions:
    Is it possible to use as a standalone version, like tools from javawa.nl ?
    Also it would be nice to see medley-swim integrated into interval stroke change.
    Erik