This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Mass Storage Setting and Changing it out of MTP mode....

After tons of posts on this subject I was directed to the following info! Too my knowledge it is available on most of the Garmin's including my 3590.

The following is quoted from this forum!

For many reasons, users will want to save this info. That is why I put it as a new thread to find easier.

See the post about halfway down this thread: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=21019

Make NUVI DIR & Files visible for Backup
1. To make all of Nuvi files visible you must unhide protected files via Win7 like any other HD.
2. Start NUVI by itself and go to Volume Screen.
3. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
4. The Developers Screen will pop up
5. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
6. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
7. Shut down NUVI and hookup to Computer USB cable
8. Start NUVI and it should recognize it is hooked up to the computer.
9. Explorer will now see all files in ROOT directory and the .System directories.
BTW, have you backed up your Nuvi? If not, then this would be a good time to do it. Could save a lot of grief later if you have a problem
  • That is why I put it as a new thread to find easier.

Unfortunately many useful tips are buried in threads.

Threads can be made "sticky" by forum Admin's but as you've already discovered there is no nuvi forum to make it sticky in. That said I doubt many people would read sticky posts anyway...

I'm constantly finding (or trying to) posts of mine and posting the URL.
  • Pressing the battery icon doesn't work on the 3597 to get into the Developer mode. you get into the diagnostic mode where you see the shapes and graphics, sound etc, but not MTP options.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 9 years ago
    Thank you so much! this worked on my 2555 & 2595

Steve
  • Many thanks for this info.. Really helped me today.
  • There is no MTP SETTINGS in 3590. Also plug the USB cable, the Garmin Unit makes a beep, but there is no connection to Windows 7 or 10.

• Thanks so much I have tried everything and spent hours  but none of my computers would see my nuvii anymore. So of course  I could notb get garmin express to connect. Changed to mass storage and connected immediately. Why on earth is such an important setting hidden away. Whay hasn't Garmin got this solution in a more prominent place. How many people have had to buy a new satnav because of this. Maybe i have answered my own question.