This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

"Merge Activities" Feature

I sometimes have to use more than one Garmin device to get a complete set of data during a workout. My phone doesn't have ANT+, so I can't use a Heart Rate monitor with Garmin FIT. But my FR70 doesn't track speed, position, elevation, etc.

Both can upload to Garmin Connect, so I'd like to select both activities and merge them into one (with a choice for which data set "wins" if the same data type exists in both activities).

Seems like you could do this across the time dimension as well -- sometimes I capture multiple legs of a long cycling day as individual activities on my device. I'd like to consolidate these into a single activity after they've been uploaded to Garmin Connect.
  • Former Member
    +1 Former Member over 11 years ago
    Also the option to combine activities would be good, halfway through my ride for some reason the phone rebooted, I now have two separate activities that I want added together.
  • Also the option to combine activities would be good, halfway through my ride for some reason the phone rebooted, I now have two separate activities that I want added together.

AGREE!!! I was taking a brief break at mile 8 of a 17 mile run, and my activity "timed out" or something. Had to start a new run. Wish I could just merge these 2 activities in Garmin Connect.
  • Take a look at the Fit File Repair Tool! This tool allows you to edit fit and tcx files as well as merge them.

If you merge files you can activate an option "synchronize timestamps". After the merge you can export the file and upload it into Garmin Connect. All summary values (average speed, max speed etc) are automatically recalculated.
    Further information can be found at http://fitfilerepairtool.info

Mathias

AGREE!!! I was taking a brief break at mile 8 of a 17 mile run, and my activity "timed out" or something. Had to start a new run. Wish I could just merge these 2 activities in Garmin Connect.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 11 years ago
    Take a look at the Fit File Repair Tool! This tool allows you to edit fit and tcx files as well as merge them.

If you merge files you can activate an option "synchronize timestamps". After the merge you can export the file and upload it into Garmin Connect. All summary values (average speed, max speed etc) are automatically recalculated.
    Further information can be found at http://fitfilerepairtool.info

Mathias

I'm sure it is a good tool, it is also a rather expensive tool. :eek:
  • I'm sure it is a good tool, it is also a rather expensive tool. :eek:

Well, yes the FFRT does cost a few bucks.
    I'm not saying you should buy the software but you should put the cost in the proper perspective.
    Garmin Connect and Training Center are free and do for you exactly what you paid for, unloading, storing and displaying your data, that's it.

Editing your data is not provided free by Garmin because that function is much more complicated, but you already know that.

I spent a lot of time learning how to edit tcx files using WordPad and XML Editor and it is very time consuming.
    When fit files hit the scene I was totally shut out. Nothing I had or could find would even let me view those damn things much less edit them.

The FFRT has provided everything I need to do anything I want with my fitness files. I am getting exactly what I paid for.

If I was paid at $1 per hour for all the time I spent trying to get several free fitfile editors to work, I would be able to pay for several FFRT subscriptions.

Sometimes I get freeware that works very well but for serious editing of fit and tcx files this FFRT has been well worth the few extra bucks.
  • While I don't deny the value (and hard work!) behind applications like the Fit File Repair Tool, I still think basic merging, combining and editing is something that should be in Garmin Connect. It isn't convenient (or even possible?) to grab files from devices like the Garmin FR70 or Garmin Fit before they find their way up to Garmin Connect. And sometimes I use my GPSMAP 62sc, which creates GPX, not FIT or TCX files.

Connect already lets you select two or more Activities to compare them, so why not take things a little further and let us merge them?

Or if they'd open up their API to allow both inbound and outbound access to data on Garmin Connect, I'm sure some enterprising developers could knock this feature out in short order!

Allan, Atlanta
  • Hello!
    I do have the same problem: I record my activities in two devices at the same time (Forerunner 405 and Garmin Fit iPhone App).

Is there a way to merge this two activities in Garmin Connect?
    Is there any solution to this problem?

Thank you very much!
  • @LADAS112:

The new version 5.11 of the "Fit File Repair Tool" has a merge function and allows you to synchronize two activites by timestamp, duration or distance. First import one file, them import the second file and choose the option "merge mode" - after that you get a list of the data fields (GPS position data, heartrate, power etc) of the second file and can choose which data you would like to import and merge with the first file. According to the users who tested this new feature it works quite well. You might take a look at the website http://fitfilerepairtool.info which gives you further information and provides a trial version.
    If you have further questions please feel free to contact me (mathias.krallmann<a>freenet.de, <a> = @).

Mathias

Hello!
    I do have the same problem: I record my activities in two devices at the same time (Forerunner 405 and Garmin Fit iPhone App).

Is there a way to merge this two activities in Garmin Connect?
    Is there any solution to this problem?

Thank you very much!
  • I had the same issue - founf great and free online tool, enjoy! - https://www.fitfiletools.com