This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Nuvi 2495LMT: "cannot unlock maps"

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, all.

New Nuvi owner here.

I recently received my new Nuvi 2495LMT. I promptly registered it and all that good stuff.

I used it and it worked like a champ.

Today, I powered the device on and go a "cannot unlock maps" window.

Under myMaps in settings, nothing is listed. It worked the other day and I have LifeTime map updates.

Connecting the device to my laptop and checking myGarmin web page, the device shows up as registered and updated. The unlock code for myMaps is there.

Any ideas of what happened and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Brad
  • That post is a couple of years old :)

Guess though you're having the same problem? You get the 'can't unlock maps' message when the unlock file is missing. To fix it:

1) Log into your myGarmin account.
    2) Click on the myMaps tab.
    3) Find your GPS in the list and click on the details link to the right of the image of your device.
    4) Find and copy the Product Key for your map product.
    5) Connect your GPS to the computer.
    6) At the top right of the page there's a "Unlock On the Road/Trail Maps" link. Click on that. You'll be taken to a "Unlock Maps" page.
    7) Scroll to the bottom of that page. You'll see a section with the Unit ID field filled in.
    8) Enter the "Product Key/Coupon Code" (from 4)) and then click the "Retrieve Unlocks" button.

That will (re)create the GMA and UNL files on your device.