This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Nuvi 3790T: MicroSD card type + size

Please would someone help by telling me the exact type (and size?) of card I need for my new Nuvi 3790T?

The Garmin PDF guide says to use a microSD but in looking on Amazon to buy one of these, I'm unclear what (if any) difference there is between a standard microSD (maximum size 2GB), and microSDHCs, which go up to 16GB or even 32GB, and which one will work in my 3790T.

Thank you in advance for any clarification.
  • A microSD card is a microSD card adn there are no differences in dimensions between them. The SDHC cards are higher volume and only more recent (or recently updated) GPS units and computers can read them. For computers, you can get a SDHC converter on eBay.

What size you need? Well, depends how much junk you need to have on it. If you use the GPS as an MP3 reader, or have audio books on it, then size may count, but if used for maps, I don't know what the limit is, but you certainly won't need 16 or 32GB.
  • Hello Amir,

Thanks very much for your guidance. Very helpful indeed.

Sorry to be a bit dense but I'm baffled by references to Class 2 to Class 10 in relation to cards. I just want to save a bunch of photos to a card on my Nuvi 3790T, probably no more than 50-60 at 800 x 600, so that I'm not using up the 1.5GB unused space on the device's hard-drive, which I'll use eventually for downloading maps of the USA.

Which card would you recommend from these choices, please?
    http://www.mymemory.co.uk/search?searchTerm=sandisk+micro+SD#allProducts
  • I'd get the 4GB card (class 2) at 7.49BPs. The class is the speed the card can be written on and it is important for video, but much less so for GPS. I've had good luck with eBay getting cards from Hong-Kong. Just make sure the seller has a decent rating, like over 95% with relatively numerous sales. Of course VAT and duty might make it a less lucrative deal. Here in the US, they don't bother with such small stuff.

Amir K9CHP
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 13 years ago
    Please would someone help by telling me the exact type (and size?) of card I need for my new Nuvi 3790T?

The Garmin PDF guide says to use a microSD but in looking on Amazon to buy one of these, I'm unclear what (if any) difference there is between a standard microSD (maximum size 2GB), and microSDHCs, which go up to 16GB or even 32GB, and which one will work in my 3790T.

Thank you in advance for any clarification.

According to Garmin support, you can use up to a 16GB microSD card, and the 3790t takes both "regular" and microSD HD cards. Lots of vendors for these, and I've found the best bargains on eBay.