This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Connect on Linux - The Quick and Easy Solution

Former Member
Former Member
There are many many sites on the net trying to get around the lack of a linux compatible plugin for Garmin Connect. Some use scripts to grab the data and upload it, others are running virtual machines, but there is a quick and easy solution that doesn't require coding. From the searching I have done, I haven't seen anyone else do it this way, so I thought I would post it.

I was running a Windows via VirtualBox on an Ubuntu host to get the plugin to work, but found it easier to run the Windows version Firefox via Wine and it works perfectly. Sure its not a native Linux solution, but it works for all models I have tried.

Here is my write up.
http://dropoff.tumblr.com/post/505336492/garmin-connect-running-on-ubuntu-linux
  • Stuck on upload

Hi,

I have a watch forerunner 305.

I have tried your solution. It succeeds to detect the watch and to upload the data (message "transfer complete" on the watch). However, it remains stuck at the end of the upload.

Do you have some idea to help me?

Thank you
    Daniel
  • Garmin Communicator Plugin in linux

Here is another way to install directly Garmin Communicator Plugin in Linux, see this:
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=124627&whichpage=3
  • Not trying to be difficult, but what is wrong with copying the files to the Linux system via USB mass storage, and then manually uploading to GC?

I've been doing this for a year or so, with my Edge 500, and for a little while with the fenix too, and it's always worked perfectly.

i.e. what does the Communicator Plugin give you, over that?
  • Not trying to be difficult, but what is wrong with copying the files to the Linux system via USB mass storage, and then manually uploading to GC?

I've been doing this for a year or so, with my Edge 500, and for a little while with the fenix too, and it's always worked perfectly.

i.e. what does the Communicator Plugin give you, over that?

A long, long, wait. I usually use manual uploads for just that reason, because I know what I've just done and I'm too lazy to clear the hundreds of other activities off my Edge 800.

But there is the case when you want to upload more than one activity at once. Then, even with the long wait, the plugin can be useful.
  • Ah, so the plugin allows multiple uploads? That could be handy; fair enough. thanks...
  • Garmin Ant+ on Linux (Mint 12.2 / 12.3)

i made a quick tutorial (SUB 3min) how to download your sports activities from your garmin device to linux systems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdt6eMO2yWM

should work also with
    - Garmin Forerunner 60
    - Garmin Forerunner 405CX
    - Garmin Forerunner 310XT
    - Garmin Forerunner 610
    - Garmin Forerunner 910XT
    - Garmin FR70
    - Garmin Swim
  • Syncing calendar, training, and workout data

This has been tested on my Forerunner 235.

I am on various versions of linux, using Firefox 51.

My workaround involves using the Garmin Connect app on android. I use the app sync most of my data and activities.

To upload training, I used the website to add it to my calendar, then clicked the button to send workouts to my device. The next page came up showing an error. Now click back to return to your calendar (or Garmin Connect site generally). You should see a transfer button on the left-most side, which will now have a number encircled (the sync items queue).

Now I just connected my device to my android and the workouts synced without an issue.

I assume this technique would work with iphone as well, or any device you can connect to a smartphone/tablet.

Hope that helps.