This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Upload TCX files to Garmin Connect

Hi, I downloaded some TCX files from Strava as .tcx.gz, unzipped them and the resulting .tcx files fail to upload to my Garmin Connect web with the error message "An error occurred with your upload. Please try again.". Some of the files are very large (up to 4 MB from some longer road bike sessions) but it also fails for tiny files below 100KB. Other formats that came along with the Strava takeout, including FIT and GPX files, upload just fine to my Garmin Connect web. When I open the files with notepad.exe they show the expected XML structture. I think the origin of these FIT files might have been TomTom MySports (TomTom wristwatch) -> Strava -> Garmin Connect OR Garmin Forerunner 935 -> Garmin Connect -> Strava -> Garmin Connect. Any pointers on how to get it done will be much appreciated. Thanks!

• Are these courses or activities? There is a different upload process for each. You can try using a 3rd party tool, such as FIT File Tools or Fit File Repair Tool. Or attach the file(s) to your post.

• All of the TCX files are activities and I tried uploading them using the Garmin Connect web interface as follows: Activities / All Activities / Import. Then used drag and drop to put the files in place, then clicked Upload.

• attach the file(s) to your post.

Maybe there is something we can do.

• Thank you so much. Please find a sample file here:

It's great somebody is selling a commercial tool, but that has not solved my problem, so I'd prefer not to mark this as "[solved]"

• Something wrong, as all GPS points are at 1° N and 1°E

[solved]

• Thank you for reviewing the file. I put the 1° N 1° E for privacy because otherwise it would show my home address

edit: Otherwise it's unchanged and all the other 121 files I have look the same. Btw, the data was recorded on my TomTom Runner 2 from 2016 indeed.

• the other 121 files

I used Fit File Repair tool to fix your file. It also has a Batch File Conversion option.

This function can be used to convert multiple files with one user action between different file formats (fit, tcx, gpx,hrm). Depending on the file size and the power of your computer, hundreds of files can be converted using this function within one hour.

This function is intended for those who switch from one device to another and wish to convert their previously recorded activities into the file format of the new device with very little effort.

• Thank you, I will keep looking for non-commercial solutions or work with Garmin Support to resolve the issue on their server-side. After all, TCX has been developed by Garmin.
    Meanwhile, if anybody else has any thoughts or wants to take a look at the file, that will be much appreciated.

• Apparently you already have some experience with XML files, since you were able to open and edit it. In such case I recommend taking one working TCX file (if you do not have any, export an existing activity as TCX from GC web), and one of your non-working files. Then compare them, and adjust the non-working file to match the working one. Preferably use the shortest possible files, in order to avoid to have to work with a lot of data.

When doing such work, I usually remove most of the internal track points, and keep only one or two, to simplify the debugging. Then I either start replacing one XML tag after the other (copying them from the working file, and replacing the original in the non-working version), or I replace bigger blocks at a time, to narrow down the problematic tag(s) quicker. Try importing, after each step, and see when it starts working.

• Sounds like a good strategy. For a known working TCX template, I exported a present activity from Garmin Connect web right into TCX. Then I started comparing them side-by-side.

Main difference seems to be in the name space declarations where Garmin adds some extensions. Plus, within Garmin trackpoints, the speed data uses one of these new extensions. I guess to make the TomTom .tcx work, in the header I need to add the Garmin name space declarations, and then within trackpoints change the extension for all speed data.