This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Capturing Heart Rate for part of a course/ride.

Hi, I am a Garmin Edge user and have upgraded to the 130 with the Heart Monitor. I do the same course each day,  but I only want to monitor the heart rate for a particular part each time. I am not sure if this can be done using a course or do I need to do a workout instead. Basically, I cycle to a velodrome and back home and lap around the velodrome. I want to capture the whole ride for distance but measure the heart rate on the velodrome only as I can go fast on there.   Thanks

Top Replies

All Replies

• Put your heartrate strap on/off when you reach/leave the velodrome or turn off the heart sensor on your head unit before and after the velodrome section.

• Thanks, I had thought of that but was hoping for a fully automated option, where the heart rate is broken into 3 sections it thr rdiectoc velodrome, thr velodrome and the river back.

• but I only want to monitor the heart rate for a particular part each time.

Just curious, what advantage do you expect from not having the HR logged the entire time?

• Thanks for asking. I want be able to see my average heart rate for the velodrome where I can get my speed up to a fast exercise level.

• Just for average value, you can use Laps, set to manual and press the button at start/stop positions.

• I want be able to see my average heart rate for the velodrome where I can get my speed up to a fast exercise level.

In that case there are several other possible solutions:

1. The simplest is using the lap button for the start and for the end of your training. Look then for the lap averages. If you disable auto-laps, it will be a single lap. If you keep auto-laps, you may have to check several laps done during the training
    2. On some models (though not on Edge 130) you can use the multi-sport feature - adding several "legs" of the same type (cycling). Each will have its own stats, while still keeping all the legs as a single activity
    3. Start a new activity for each section
    4. Temporarily trim the activity to the section of interest. After reviewing the stats, you can restore the full original.
    5. In GC app, you can open the full-screen HR graph by tapping it and turning the phone into the landscape position. On this graph you can select the section of interest by two fingers and you'll see the average
  • Thanks for all those suggestions, I shall look at the laps option.

• You can also apply arbitrary "laps" to existing activities after the fact, if you use the free site https://www.runalyze.com, which syncs with your Garmin Connect account.

• Thanks BunBun works a treat.