This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Map / GPS data missing for most old activities

I have a fenix 3 and used to have a forerunner 305. I did import my runs from my old forerunner downloads to garmin connects many years ago. Now I found out that almost all activities lack a map where I have been running. Is there a reason for this? I would love to know where I have been running back then and GPS data was collected using a 305

• Could you post one of the concerned files, so that we have a look at it? You will need to zip the file, in order to be able using the function Insert » Image/video/file » upload at the bottom of the edit box here.

• This is not the original activity file. It is just a TCX summary without any data. You have to use the original FIT file. If the activities are still on the device, load them over the USB cable from the folder //GARMIN/Activity/. And if the old device used a different Garmin Connect account than you use today, then either export each of the activities as "Original" (that's the FIT file), or simpler, request the full dump of data at https://www.garmin.com/en-US/account/datamanagement/exportdata/ 

• Oh I see. Im not into those formats. I just found those on old harddrives / they were offered when using the old locally installed garmin app as export format. I still have the forerunner lying around and maybe most of the old harddisks. I guess the 305 wont have all activities on it if they are accessible at all. So the HDDs may be a better option when trying later or tomorrow but then I guess I ll have to run the old garmin app to export. Or is there anything I can copy directly which will work?

Will the new import in the web app overwrite the old activities or will they be double? Overwriting would be better of course but then I have to make sure to safe those few manual edits of titles or remarks to reenter them after import.

Thank you trux!

• Frankly told, I am not well familiar with the very old models, and am not entirely sure about the format they used. In any case, the TCX file you uploaded, contains no data except of a very brief summary of the activity.

Perhaps peeks in, and tells us better. He owned some of the very first Garmin watches, and is well familiar with the file formats.

• Yes. The 305 used TCX file format. So doing an "export original" will export a TCX file. If that map is missing from the original export, your best chance is searching for your saved backup and/or exporting the file off of Garmin Training Center if it's installed on your computer.

• thx I ll try to find an installed version of TC along with the data. I hope I ll find another export format in TC

• During that time in Garmin history, there were a lot of users that had their maps go missing. Most of mine I was able to recover off of Garmin Training Center and import back into Garmin Connect.

• Google search for DC Rainmaker where he talks about doing the same thing last year.

• thx guys! I ll try your suggestions