This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Fix corrupted fit file

I tried to repair the file on http://garmin.kiesewetter.nl but I got the error message "The following error occured: Unexpected end of file while parsing Name has occurred. Line 151558, position 9." I also tried using https://www.fitfiletools.com/#/top and was able to recover the first 6 miles of my run, but not the entire thing. Is there a way to fix the file and get the entire 10 mile run recovered? If so, how do you do it? The file is attached.

4024.B7T83242.FIT.zip

Top Replies

All Replies

• thank you so much. I think I might as well buy the software you use so I don't keep coming on here asking for you to do it

• Was hoping you could fix this one. Getting annoyed with Garmin because they just told me to factory reset my watch, but this still occurs. Gonna reach out to them again.

BAN81951.FIT.zip

• This will work for you - BAN81951-fixed.fit

they just told me to factory reset my watch, but this still occurs

In general that will fix some issues, but might be overkill for your corrupt file problems. First of all, the Forerunner 35 is by far and away the most problematic Garmin watch in regards to corrupt files. I would say, if you can afford it, getting any other watch in the current Forerunner lineup would be a major improvement.

Meanwhile, here are some suggestions:

• After verifying that everything has synced, backup then remove the files in the \GARMIN\ACTIVITY folder on the device’s file system using these directions: Removing Recorded Activities on a Garmin Fitness Device 
    • Avoid excessive button presses such as pausing during your activity. If you need to pause frequently during your run, consider turning on auto pause
    • Regularly check for firmware updates using Garmin Express
    • If issues with corrupt files persist, contact Garmin Support (but guess you've already done that)
  • Yeah I think I might just try to get the Forerunner 45. I don't need anything fancy with a running watch, but would like it to not mess up my activities.

• And thank you once again. You're a life saver

• That would be great. I see very few forum members posting here about their Forerunner 45 having corrupt fit files. Of note, seems a lot of the corrupt files on the Forerunner 35 are for longer runs of say 16 km / 10 miles or longer. So if you plan on doing a longish run, perhaps clear out the \GARMIN\ACTIVITY folder before your run.

• Happened again. I've been trying to clear out my history but I think I might've forgotten to this time. I'd appreciate any help with it!

BBI74859.FIT.zip

• It didn't end where it started, so wondering if anything is missing from this fixed file - BBI74859-fixed.fit

If you could, please let us know how this occurred. Gathering some data that might help us see what could be causing this.

• How many FIT files were in the GARIMIN\ACTIVITY folder
    • How much free memory was on the watch?
    • Are you using a Mac? If so, after removing fit files from the \GARMIN\ACTIVITY folder empty bin while device is connected.
    • Do you typically have corrupt file issues when the activity is longer than average?
    • Did you manually pause the activity during the run or did you use auto pause?
    • Was your Forerunner connected with a phone during the activity?
    • What steps did you follow when stopping the activity? Stop and then save or did you stop,  pause, then save?

Thanks!

• No worries about not ending where it started, that is actually what I did. I counted and there were 45 fit files on my device's activity folder, including the 1 corrupted file. Not sure how to check free memory on the watch. I am using a Mac. I wouldn't say the files are longer than average, but they are decently long. This was one of the shorter ones where it went corrupt (9 miles/1 hour). I do manually pause, and usually it gets corrupted when I pause and start quickly. Although when I put my corrupted file through the fit file tools section remover, I notice that it got messed up at a point where I did not pause or start quickly. Although I will say it usually messes up at the area where I paused and started quickly. My watch was not connected to a phone on this run or any of my runs. As for the last question, I'm not really sure what that means, but I will say I always stop running, hit the pause button, and save it right away. Let me know if you need any other info! Appreciate it

• Happened again, and this time it was unlike any other time.

1. This was during a short (4 mile) track workout

2. I did not frequently stop and start the watch, I only hit the lap button about every minute or so.

3. I made sure to clear about 3 or 4 activities from my watch to make sure there would be enough storage on the watch.

Any help with this would be appreciated. It also seems to now be glitching out more frequently so now I'm convinced to get a new watch in the near future.

BBN84401.FIT.zip