This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Find "uncategorized" activities

I'm trying to isolate "uncategorized" activities so I can change them to run, walk or cycle as appropriate in Garmin Connect on the web.  Here's the issues:

1. If I go to all activities, I can search for "uncategorized".  This is fine when the word "uncategorized" appears in the activity title.

2. The search function only appears to work on the activity title, not on other fields of data for each activity - e.g. distance, or time, or pace, or heart rate etc..  Nor does it search on the activity type.

3. The "All activities" screen does not allow for sorting by column type.  Which means, to find an activity which is "Uncategorized" but does not have the word "uncategorized" in the title, I have to scroll part page after part page until I get down to the date of the activity I am looking for.  In my case specifically, I'm looking to find individual activities as far back as 2011, which is thousands of activities in the past.  I've calculated it will take approximately 90 minutes of scrolling to work my way down that far!

4. Yes, data can be sorted by columns once a sub activity type has been chosen (e.g. run, walk, other, swim), but there is no option to select the "uncategorized" activity type. 

If anyone can provide advice on how a specific uncategorized activity can be found, I'd  be grateful.  I'd attach a screenshot of what I'm looking for, but I can't upload an image here.

Thanks, Justin.

• If I go to all activities, I can search for "uncategorized".  This is fine when the word "uncategorized" appears in the activity title.

Selecting the last type Other does not work for this purpose?

The search function only appears to work on the activity title, not on other fields of data for each activity - e.g. distance, or time, or pace, or heart rate etc..  Nor does it search on the activity type.

You have to select a type (i.e. Walk, Run, Bike,... or Other) first, and the you can use the Advanced search filters, including the distance, time, and some other criteria

The "All activities" screen does not allow for sorting by column type

Again, select the Activity type, and then you can sort the activities by columns

Yes, data can be sorted by columns once a sub activity type has been chosen (e.g. run, walk, other, swim), but there is no option to select the "uncategorized" activity type.

As above -  "uncategorized"  should be under "Other", or aren't they?

• No unfortunately the "uncategorized" activities are not under the "other" option.

• And because the type "uncategorized" cannot be selected (i.e. there is no option for this), the user then doesn't have the chance to sort by columns.  Frustrating.

• Where do they come from? Never saw a "uncategorized" activity in my account

• Not 100% sure, but the data I'm trying to change (7 activities in total) are from between 2009 and 2014.  In that time I've used the Forerunner 305, 310xt and 910xt.  There was some correlation between the use of the "other" activity type on the 205 and 305 (which I used for walks, as "walk" was not an available activity with those devices) and "uncategorized" activities in Garmin Connect (noting that I was using Garmin Training Centre on my PC and uploaded the data as blocks of .GPX when I started using Garmin Connect).  They were easy to change though, as the title of the activity also had the word "uncategorized" in it, so a simple search was able to show them in a list.  It just remains the activities that are "uncategorized" by type, but don't have the word "uncategorized" in their title that I can't find.  Interesting challenge, isn't it!

• You can search activities' list in JSON.
    limit - number of activities,
    start - from which one start a list, counting from newest.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/proxy/activitylist-service/activities/search/activities?limit=200&start=0

You can also make a script to list only what you need.
    Example, this prints 200 newest activities' IDs and Types, so it will be much faster to look through it to spot other types, or copy results and sort.

jQuery.getJSON(
        'https://connect.garmin.com/modern/proxy/activitylist-service/activities/search/activities?limit=200',
        function(act_list)
        {
            act_list.forEach(
            function(act)
                {
                        console.log(act['activityId'], act['activityType']);
                }
            );
        }
    );

• And if you are not comfortable with using the JSON, you can export all activities in the CSV file, where you should be able to find the suspects easier.

• 4. Yes, data can be sorted by columns once a sub activity type has been chosen (e.g. run, walk, other, swim), but there is no option to select the "uncategorized" activity type. 

And sorting works also for everything. It's just hidden.

You can set filters or sorting for running and just manually remove from the link activityType=running.

Example:
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activities?sortBy=name&sortOrder=asc

• Thanks everyone, but BuBun especially.  Your thoughts didn't quite work exactly for me, but I replaced "running" with "uncategorized" directly in the URL and presto, only the uncategorized activities show in the list.  Perfect!

Syntax:
    connect.garmin.com/.../activities