This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

export splits to CSV does not seem to include activity date

When I export splits to a CSV, date is not part of the data or part of the file name.  As far as I can tell.  Metadata somewhere about the activity or the individual splits indicating when the thing happened would be very handy.  Ideally in the data (an activity date on each row or a split date on each row -- in case the activity spanned days, which I would likely never see).  Alternatively the activity date could be part of the file name (to be parsed as a standard).  Is there a date somewhere that I am missing?

• Also, having activity type (Run, for example) and step type (Run, Recover, etc) in the data would make it much easier to use the data.

• I second this.  For one thing, there is no way to bulk download csv files of your activities that include the individual mile splits....which drives me crazy.  So, I have to download each activity separately, individually.  Then, as this person says, it doesn't even include the date.  Why not?  How tough can it possibly be to do this??

• How tough can it possibly be to do this??

Easy. Just call the following URL, replacing the XXXXXXXX with the numerical ID of the Activity you are interested in, and you get the full data including the date and time. It is in JSON format, but you can convert it to CSV, if necessary, for example with the JSON to CSV Converter, though spreadsheet and database programs can usually read JSON just fine.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/proxy/activity-service/activity/XXXXXXXX/splits 

• Thanks... that was kinda slick.  I put my activity ID in that URL and then pasted those results into that JSON to CSV converter.  I do like how the data includes the date (which is key), heart rate and other data.  However, it doesn't give me the pace stats in minute/mile units.  The manually downloaded CSV file gives me the average pace and average moving pace in min:sec units like 6:30.  I have to use a formula to convert the meters/second using a formula (=(1609.344)/( X *60)/24/60 ) to get from m/s to min/mi.  I imagine they use meters/sec on the back end for calculation simplicity but it's too bad it doesn't come thru to me in min/mi.

Another issue is that I also still have to go to each individual activity page (I believe unless you know a way around this), in order to acquire each activity ID.  At that point, if I'm going to the page already, I could just download the CSV and then add the date.  It would probably take me about the same amount of time as getting it thru the JSON method.   Not complaining b/c your solution is a good one, I just hate the thought of having to go thru the 300 to 400 activities that I am analyzing.

I also have done the bulk data download request link that you provided in my other post.  I had sent that in a few days ago so we'll see what that comes back with.  The bulk download request I did thru Strava (I have my Garmin activities syncing to Strava) gave me tons of data (all of my Strava data) but those all gave me .fit files which are an even bigger PITA to convert.

• I also have done the bulk data download request link that you provided in my other post.

I did this for my account which contains thousands of activities dating back to 2004. It took about 3 weeks, but eventually received an email from Garmin with a link to download my entire Garmin profile which included everything. All activities exactly in the type they were uploaded (FIT, GPX, or TCX).

• Another issue is that I also still have to go to each individual activity page (I believe unless you know a way around this), in order to acquire each activity ID.

JSON's list of activities (with IDs) is here, the link accepts filters from the website, limit=200 is for 200 newest. You can find some scripts on the forum which you can modify, then it can be auto.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/proxy/activitylist-service/activities/search/activities?limit=200