This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Need Indoor Rowing

When do you think the Garmin watch and Connect app will become more "rowing friendly"?

• Rowing listed along with other default activities instead of having to choose "other" everywhere
  • Rowing activity icon(s)
  • Rowing activity badges
  • Rowing listed along with other default activities instead of having to choose "other" everywhere

Well, there are thousands of sports, and not everyone can have a separate category in the listing. However, since Indoor Rowing is not under the category Other, but under the category Fitness Equipment, you can use the subcategory Indoor Rowing of the Fitness Equipment category: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activities?activityType=fitness_equipment&activitySubType=indoor_rowing 

Rowing activity icon(s)

As far as I see, there is already an Indoor Rowing icon in Garmin Connect Web

Rowing activity badges

Hard to guess when some rowing badges will be added. There are thousands of other sports without any badges either, so nobody here on the user forum will be able to tell you whether and when rowing badges will be added.

• ... just as I wrote in one of the many posts you (re)opened today about the same topic: there is aready a rowing badge: Row the Boat - see the details on e7andy's website https://garminbadges.com/index.php?typeId=1&points=1&userId=&countryId=ID&showOutdated=on

• LOL!  Thanks.   

I do realize there are many sports but indoor rowing is very popular.  Most gyms have several rowing machines and there are studios whose sole purpose is Indoor rowing classes.     Would just like to see the app(s) be more "rowing friendly" and not relegate it to "gym equipment" or "other"

Here is a screen shot from the profile page.

• Looking at that badge....it appears to be related to a specific event in Indonesia.

• I do realize there are many sports but indoor rowing is very popular.

Do you think indoor rowing is more polular than for example football, soccer, basketball, baseball? Certainly not. And do you see listed them there? They do not even have a subcategory like Indoor Rowing has, so be glad for that.

• Those are team sports and in some cases, the athlete would not be wearing a garmin watch during the game.  Plus, what specific about the sport would the watch track and measure?     The activities listed on the Garmin are typically individual for one to track and measure performance and improvement with measurements specific to the activity. 

• With that said, if the activity field on the screen (any screen) is just to capture information about the user (such as the user profile page)....then it should be very easy to add a LOT of sports / activities.  Same with screens that are just categorizing activities.   If I were still active in football and baseball, I would want to have that activity listed to select

• There is nothing more specific in indoor rowing than in a big part of the other couple of thousands of sports that are not listed at all. So consider your prefered discipline still being priviledged. Yes, everyone would like to see his/her sport listed in preference. That's why you can create custom sports, and you can also tag such activities as favorites, if you wish highlighting them. If you wish anything more than that, justy request it at Garmin, and if the popoularity is really that high as you claim it is, then there will be thousands of similar requests, and Garmin will certainly listen to the demand.

• There is a "Row indoor" activity profile in my watch (Forerunner 945) so either you can add it to your watch or it is an older or limited model.

There are also apps in Connect IQ that could help you like: Any Activity

• It is an event in Indonesia, India and Taiwan. I haven't checked all countries so there might be more. I just discovered that it also worked with Indonesia.

It is a rowing badge (which is what you asked for) and you can get it by changing your country setting here: https://www.garmin.com/account/profile

I don't see that Garmin will focus that much on rowing, but who knows? They have recently added some focus to yoga, breathwork and floor climb and the last two are probably not the most common activities that folks do.