This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Connect - own exercise name

Hi,

there is any possibility to make my own training with my own exercises names in Garmin Connect? I miss this feature so much.

Im doing specific training like calisthenic and i want to enter my own name of exercise. Now i can only select from available list.

Could you add field (next to "choose type") something like "other" where i can enter my specific exercise?

Please! its really helps me and others. When we do workout, we dont have time to reads own notes under exercise names....what i have to do now. 

• As stated, that's exactly how I do it. In addition, I also edit the name of the exercise, which is a free-text entry, to reflect exactly what I was doing. 

• I guess they want to know exactly what you are going and log all the metrics so they can sell the information.

It's all spelled out here, if you want to learn more about how Garmin deals with your personal data:

Statement of Privacy

Security

Terms of Use

• I guess they want to know exactly what you are going and log all the metrics so they can sell the information.

A little bit of paranoia is always a good safety precaution. You can opt out from the data storage and processing, so if that is really your concern, don't give them your data. Finally you have all what you need on your watch in the form of FIT files, so just create your own application for processing the data. Nobody is forcing you to use their applications. The specifications of the FIT file format is well documented, so there is nothing that could prevent you from keeping your data safe and strictly private, and even have a much better interface than what they offer.

• It all seems a bit of a frig.  Why don't Garmin just add a an option for a user entry field?  Do you happen know how the "note" is presented on a Vivoactive 4 watch or similar?  I just don't want to purchase the item until I am sure it will do what I want.

• It all seems a bit of a none sense.  Why don't Garmin just allow a user entry field for an exercise? Do you happen know how the "note" is presented on a vivoactive 4 watch or similar? I just don't want to purchase a watch at this price for it not to do what I want.

• Why don't Garmin just add a an option for a user entry field?

Most likely because they have enough of other tasks with higher priority in the queue, and because custom exercises can be created in the way described in previous posts anyway.

• In addition, I also edit the name of the exercise, which is a free-text entry, to reflect exactly what I was doing.

Got to ask, since it would be nice if this was possible - but I haven't seen that it is. The only choice of naming the exercise (the individual exercise within the workout) I can find in Garmin Connect workout planner, is from the list of +1200 exercises. Do you have a picture of where and how you edit the name of the exercise? Maybe I have missed something, but neither in workouts or in the actual activity recorded I see a way to name the exercise to my liking.

• Sorry, I should have said I edit the name of the activity

• Sorry, I should have said I edit the name of the activity

... even more precisely, the name of the workout Slight smile 

Another workaround or a hack, for those who really cannot live without their own names of exercises, would be editing the names in the FIT file that is being uploaded to the watch. The names are in plain-text in the files, so you could edit the names from those of GC to something better fitting (as long as you keep the name short enough to fit in the predefined space, and do not change the lenght of the file. You would also need to recalculate the checksum. There are some tools available for that.

• Maybe a bit easier if Garmin just implemented a user field though!